won't unlock phone

Highlighted

won't unlock phone

Purchased a phone in january of 2018 from the boost store, also signed up for the pay as you go $50 unlimited plan. I was assured there was no contracts and no commitments. So february 12th went to tmobil to switch plan. I called boost a d got my account number (after a battle). Tmobile ported my number and set up my account. When they tried to install the new sim card they received a. Error that the phone was locked. I called boost to have them unlock the phone (battle #2). I was put on hold and then had a bunch of numbers called out and call hung up, I assumed they unlocked the phone. Tmobile again tries the sim, a d same msg. I called boost again and was assured my phone was not locked. Again tmobile tries the sim and it did not work. After being at tmobile for over 3 hours we decided that it may take a few hours for the unlock to happen. February 13th, tries phone and still locked. Went to tmobile again tries phone did not work, associate called apple to see if maybe a phone issue? Apple suggested backing up phone 
But did not work, called boost again and was told hold not help me, rep at tmobile told he could not do anything else until phone was unlocked. Went home and called boost again, was told and I quote, your phone is not locked. Still cluld not get the phone to accept the tmobile sim card so once again I called boost, after having a 5 minute conversation. I was put on hold and passed off to another boost rep, when I was then told the phone was locked, a x I would have to have an account with boost for 12 months before they would unlock my phone. I asked how they could do this and was told read the policy on the website! So there is no commitment, there is no contract, I own the phone, but I need to read the website to see policy? Wrong!!
1. Why wasn't I told about the 12 month issue the first time I called (or the 2nd or 3rd)?
2. Paid for phone, no contract, no commitment how can they lock my phone?
3. I was paid up till 2/16/18 a d they cut me off monday so they owe me a refund!
4. I have been without a phone since monday due to this issue when though I have been paying for service through tmobile, so boost should refund this also. 
The bottom line is I want my phone u locked and boost has no right to hold. Me hostage!!!

82 REPLIES 82
Highlighted
Accomplice

Don’t waste your time in a pm with anyone from Boost or sprint. They will not unlock your phone no mater what the circumstances are or  how wrong they are. Don’t waste your time

Highlighted
Accomplice

Same situation. Didn't purchase a phone through boost. Had an iphone x I purchased from a friend. Activated it.with boost. In 2018. Phone got water damage a couple weeks ago. Went to the Apple store where they charge me 580$ to replace. I asked the apple rep this is an unlocked phone...right? He replied yes. I only have 12 days left on my bill then I was going to switch to Verizon. One day before the bill was supposed to be due I went to Verizon and told them I had an unlocked iPhone x and I wanted to port my number from boost. The port went through and I paid 80$ for the their unlimited prepaid plan. When he put the sim card in my phone was saying, sim card not supported. WTF!!! Boost is saying that my iPhone is locked and I have to wait a full 12 months because I just activated my iPhone. This is a load BS.! Boost has no right to hold people's phones hostage especially if own the phones and are not boost branded. As others have stated I can't wait for a class action lawsuit to come and finally put this shifty phone company out of business!!
Highlighted
Agent

Hi there Wigs419. We definitely would like to look further into this. Please send us a private message to verify. Victor21

Highlighted
Accomplice

Yes, boost still denied my phone unlock after trying last time just because the phone was replaced under warranty from apple
Highlighted
Accomplice

IMEI [edited for privacy]

Pin
Highlighted
Agent

Hi there Dustinp. This does not sound right. If the phone was replaced by Apple due to warranty, it will carry the previous device tenure. Please send us a private message and we will look into it. Victor21

Highlighted
Agent

Hi. Please do not send account information in public view. We have sent to remove it. Please send us a private message. Victor21

Highlighted
Accomplice

Seems that different boost reps don't really know the company unlock policy.. The first rep I spoke to a few days ago said a replacement phones start the 12 month requirement for unlock all over. Spoke to a rep last night and today that both said thats untrue. If their policy actually states that replacements from insurance or warranties does not start the waiting period. If you have your imei of the defected device and if it's eligible to be unlocked tell them to unlock it which mite prompt boost to unlock the imei of the replacement. After speaking with the rep last night I received an email this morning saying my phone will be unlocked in a few hours. It's been five hours but am still keeping fingers crossed
Highlighted
Agent

Hi there Wigs419.  Please allow us to clarify: If a customer receives a replacement phone due to warranty, the tenure of the defective device will carry over. If the device is replace by any other means, the tenure does not carry over.

An unlock process request takes 3-5 days to complete.   

Victor21 

Highlighted
Accomplice

Hi Victor please provide a link for the community about unlocking policy for replacement phones whether it's a manufacturer warranty or a replacement through insurance. I looked everywhere on boosts website but do not see it anywhere.
Also you mentioned the whole unlock process can take 3-5 days? Why does customer service say up to 48 hours, and how long after you receive an email stating your phone will be unlocked in a few hours to leave the sim card in?