won't unlock phone

Highlighted

won't unlock phone

Purchased a phone in january of 2018 from the boost store, also signed up for the pay as you go $50 unlimited plan. I was assured there was no contracts and no commitments. So february 12th went to tmobil to switch plan. I called boost a d got my account number (after a battle). Tmobile ported my number and set up my account. When they tried to install the new sim card they received a. Error that the phone was locked. I called boost to have them unlock the phone (battle #2). I was put on hold and then had a bunch of numbers called out and call hung up, I assumed they unlocked the phone. Tmobile again tries the sim, a d same msg. I called boost again and was assured my phone was not locked. Again tmobile tries the sim and it did not work. After being at tmobile for over 3 hours we decided that it may take a few hours for the unlock to happen. February 13th, tries phone and still locked. Went to tmobile again tries phone did not work, associate called apple to see if maybe a phone issue? Apple suggested backing up phone 
But did not work, called boost again and was told hold not help me, rep at tmobile told he could not do anything else until phone was unlocked. Went home and called boost again, was told and I quote, your phone is not locked. Still cluld not get the phone to accept the tmobile sim card so once again I called boost, after having a 5 minute conversation. I was put on hold and passed off to another boost rep, when I was then told the phone was locked, a x I would have to have an account with boost for 12 months before they would unlock my phone. I asked how they could do this and was told read the policy on the website! So there is no commitment, there is no contract, I own the phone, but I need to read the website to see policy? Wrong!!
1. Why wasn't I told about the 12 month issue the first time I called (or the 2nd or 3rd)?
2. Paid for phone, no contract, no commitment how can they lock my phone?
3. I was paid up till 2/16/18 a d they cut me off monday so they owe me a refund!
4. I have been without a phone since monday due to this issue when though I have been paying for service through tmobile, so boost should refund this also. 
The bottom line is I want my phone u locked and boost has no right to hold. Me hostage!!!

82 REPLIES 82
Highlighted
Agent

We apologize for this experience, @mambrake. Please, allow us to further investigate on this matter. To send a private message, click on any of the social care agents user names and select the option send this user a private message. 

Highlighted
Accomplice

I sent you a private message even-though it wont avail anything. Wish Boost would change this 1 year policy but its whatever they want to do. If a third party store can unlock this Iphone then why is boost willing to loose an 11 year customer over unlocking this phone? Its not like i am leaving. I just want it for my mother a cancer survivor who is on tracfone, a free government life line..😪

Highlighted
Agent

Understood. We will continue the assistance through private message. 

Highlighted
Accomplice

The funny thing is that no one ever replies through private messages...LOL.... This is crazy and feels like BOOSTMOBILE is just toying with me

Highlighted
Groupie

I purchased a refurbished iPhone * plus a t a boost store. wasn't told anything about it being locked. Had problems with losing signal all the way down to 1x. I contacted Tech Support for the phone and was told to return the phone for warranty exchange. I connected my iPhone 7 which is unlocked and had the same problem. tech support said it was a problem with the phone. Contacted Apple and it's Boost's problem because the 8plus is under a Boost warranty. I decided to move my line to AT&T and I connected my 7 to that and haven't had any problem. So I decided to try to connect the 8 Plus and find that it's locked. Boost will NOT unlock my phone because I haven't had service for 12 months. I paid cash for the phone and they are holding my phone hostage. I lost about 4000 in business calls due to their service.  The only answer I got was too bad you haven't had service with us for 12 months. If I had bought it on a payment plan I could understand the policy, but to take money and hold product hostage is fraud

Highlighted
Accomplice

Sorry about this. I quit Boostmobile after 11 years. I went to T-Mobile. I never knew Boostmobile was this **bleep** about a phone you buy outright. It’s like buying a car cash and the dealer not wanting to give you the title. I’ll never go back to boost. You all can check my YouTube at ( Carlos monce records )
Highlighted
Accomplice

How can we unlock our phones that we purchased and own. Shouldnt we have that right to choose since we own it
Highlighted
Agent

Hello, Daveydavis42069. Thank you for reaching out to us here. We'd love to help you. Can you send us a private message with your phone number and PIN, and the MEID of the phone you want to unlock?

Highlighted
Accomplice

You guys waste out time. Thats all you say is to send a private message and then you never help..
Highlighted

I have had a similar issue to what this user posted. The unlocking policy is intentionally hidden and deceptive, and clearly, the main way Boost Mobile is earning their revenue by holding people’s phones hostage. I bought my phone in December, and certainly, I don’t remember reading anywhere during the purchasing process that I would be required to use Boost for twelve months before they would unlock it. For 5-6 months, I’ve been getting extremely poor and unreliable service- multiple dropped calls and failed calls every single week. 1-2 bars of service maximum in my home, even though I live right in the middle of my city, where there should be service, and other carriers have full service. I used to get better cell service with Boost. So I tried to switch carriers. On Monday, after a very long hold, I explained my problems and the agent said my phone would be unlocked in 48 hours. Three days later I went to Verizon, tried to sign up for service; my phone was locked. I called Boost back. This time, the agent said they would NOT unlock my phone because I hadn’t been using it for 12 months. This was the first time I’d heard of this policy. In meantime, my text messaging stopped working. I can send texts but can’t receive them. I’ve spent hours trying to troubleshoot with Boost on the phone, and then in person, and then with Apple. I do not believe the problem lies with my device. I’ve reset all settings and then reset network settings. Text messaging still doesn’t work. So now, not only will Boost not unlock my phone, but I’m paying for service that’s not even working, for at least four more months. And at the at time, Boost will probably tell me that they still won’t unlock my phone. I agree with the others. Boost is able to keep its plans relatively cheap because they are making their money by holding people’s devices hostage. That is deceitful. I have been a Boost customer for six years, and they reward me with extremely poor service and no way to get out of it.