unlocking a fully paid for iphone

Enthusiast

unlocking a fully paid for iphone

I purchased a new iPhone 8 in December for $500 and never got Boost service on it. As far as I see, it should be eligible for unlocking being it was never subsidized or had service with Boost. When calling for an unlocking they tell me I needed to have an account for 12 months. This policy should be for subsidized/prepaid only according to CTIA and the FCC. My phone was purchased freely and without ANY service requirement or disclosure of ANY kind or ANY service contract and therefore should be considered post paid and eligible for an unlock.

Please assist me with unlocking my iPhone.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: unlocking a fully paid for iphone

Hey there, serg1994! Boost Mobile will assist with unlocking a device under the following circumstances:

• The device is SIM unlock capable
  • The device has not been reported as lost or stolen or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
  • The device has been active on the associated account for at least 12 months
  • The associated account is active and in good standing

If you believe you meet the above requirements and would like to request that your DSU-capable device be unlocked, contact Boost Mobile Customer Care by dialing 1-888-BOOST-4U.

Enthusiast

I was on the phone for 45 minutes only for the customer service agent to tell me that the company policy states I needed to have service for 12 months. Nowhere in the advertisement or the receipt is this policy stated. Having never activated the phone or had service, I'm being treated like I have a contract. I purchased the phone without contract or any expectations of service and therefore should be free and clear from any imposed financial lock. This conduct is not only unethical and illegal, it's poor business!! If this is the business model, it needs to be clearly stated when you purchase the phone that your are obligated to keep the service for 12 months before the device can be unlocked. Oh right, you wouldn't sell any phones if this policy was stated.

Agent

All of our phones are made to work exclusively in our network, some phones qualify for unlocking, but that does not guarantee that the phones can work on other networks. To unlock your device, you'll need to meet some requirements. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. We comply with the FCC regulation for phone unlocking. For more details, please visit the FCC website. https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/cell-phone-unlocking-faqs If there’s anything else that we can do for you, let us know.

Enthusiast

Direct from the FCC:

Q - When is my device eligible for unlocking

A - Your postpaid device is eligible to be unlocked by a participating provider after you have fulfilled the applicable service contract, completed the device installment plan or paid an early termination fee. 

Phone was never under contract, never had any installment plan or subject to termination fees.

Highlighted
Agent

We are not postpaid, but as a prepaid non-contract service provider, we also have an unlocking policy. For more details, please refer to the FCC website. https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/cell-phone-unlocking-faqs "Will my prepaid phone be unlocked on request?" Yes, participating providers have agreed to unlock prepaid devices within one year of initial activation, consistent with reasonable time, payment or usage requirements. If there’s anything else that we can do for you, let us know.

Enthusiast

Customers will not know this is the policy because it's concealed and buried on the website. This is false advertisement. If you want to advertise as "no contract" you have to disclose what that really means. "No contract" means no contract. I have no financial ties to Boost!