iphone Xr activation problem

Groupie

iphone Xr activation problem

I purchased a unlocked iphone Xr from Apple store, but when I called to activate it the represent said my phone is not compatible with Boost mobile. Why is that?  Apple said the unlocked iphone is compatible with any service providers.

I checked with other Sprint network service provider websites, all of them said the new phone is compatible with their service.

24 REPLIES 24
Agent

Re: iphone Xr activation problem

Hi there! Did you check the compatible checker here at https://activate.boostmobile.com/bring-your-phone? You will need to contact customer service to get a compatible SIM card. 

Groupie

Yes, I checked it, and it said it's not compatible. I also called the customer service and they said my phone cannot be activated.

I bought a brand new unlocked phone from the Apple store with full price.

Agent

Oh, I see. We recommend returning to the Apple store, and exchanging that device. 

Highlighted
Accomplice

I was able to get two different iPhone XRs activated on Boost. But was extremely frustrating and hoping the following helps a few folks.

I bought two different Sprint compatible iPhone XRs from Apple (to replace iPhone SE and iPhone 6) and both times had similar problem swapping from old to new phone and activating, but was able to get them both activated on Boost. Boost reps told me different stories: told me I needed to return my phone to Apple, needed a new SIM card and even told me my iPhone XR could not be activated on Boost! What a bunch of idiots!! And the online activation tool kept telling me my phones were not eligible to activate. NOT helpful. So here is what I did...

I did end up getting a boost SIM card mailed to me and used it for one of my two iPhone XRs but pretty sure you don’t need since I was able to get one activated using the Sprint SIM that originally came with the phone.

Step 1) In any case, turn off your old phone. Make sure it is off, I found that to be important to the process.

Step 2) Call into Customer Service. Give them the primary IMEI number not the digital (“IMEI2”) on the box (there are two IMEIs listed on back of iPhone box which is totally confusing and most reps don’t know the difference between them).

Step 3) They will likely end up saying they can’t activate and tell you to do one of the things I previously wrote in my paragraph above. Politely tell them to transfer you to Tech Support (TS). Tell the TS rep to reprogram your iPhone XR to be compatible with Boost network using the “Device network analysis tool”. Use those exact words.

Step 4) Once your phone is reprogrammed to be compatible on Boost the rep should be able to activate your SIM and phone. The rep may have you restart your phone. Don’t take no for an answer! Call in and get another rep if you have to. Seriously I’ve even had Boost managers tell me incorrect info like “not possible to activate your iPhone XR” so don’t let them get you down.

But knowing which IMEI to give the rep, telling them to use that device network analysis tool and don’t take no for an answer were all key. Good luck!
Enthusiast

I am having the same issue.  I have called multiple times and talked to a supervisor.  I have an unlocked phone from the Apple store and just want to swap with my iphone 6 that won't keep a charge.  Its so frustrating.

Agent

Hi there, @cassielee83! What's the model of the phone that you are trying to activate? 

Enthusiast

Iphone XR

Agent

Oh, I see. The only way to activate those unlocked devices is contacting customer service dialing 888-266-7848. 

Enthusiast

I have multiple times and even talked to a supervisor.  no one knows how to do it.