Boost Mobile Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Boost app or BoostMobile.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit https://www.boostmobile.com/support/contact-us.html
Boost Mobile Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Boost app or BoostMobile.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit https://www.boostmobile.com/support/contact-us.html

iPhone Unlocking Issues

Highlighted
Enthusiast

iPhone Unlocking Issues

Hi, I'm hoping someone from the community or from Boost support can help me out here. My iPhone from Virgin Mobile was ported over to Boost last month. I was a Virgin customer for years, and the phone has long been fully paid off, so I decided to ask Boost to unlock it so that I can swap in another SIM. I opened the ticket with Boost last week, and I called in today to check the status. Both reps I've talked to today have said it's completely unlocked and there's nothing else Boost needs to do. The problem is, my phone isn't behaving like it's unlocked. I don't have the "Cellular Data Network" option in settings that an unlocked phone should have, and the other carrier (Visible) whom I'd like to try out is confirming that the phone is still showing as locked on their end.

One of the Boost reps on the phone also had some talking points that seemed off to me. She said I'd first need to cancel my Boost service in order to completely unlock the phone and port over my number. In other words, she was saying that because my iPhone is connected to an active Boost account, there's no way I can use my iPhone to activate a new SIM. That's not an instruction that I've seen anywhere before. She also said that an unlocked Sprint phone won't work on Verizon's network (the network that Visible uses). That also doesn't seem right, especially for an iPhone XR that's built for multiple networks. In fact, Visible seems to immediately pick up a strong Verizon LTE signal in the status bar when I put in the SIM. But I can't get beyond that "SIM Not Valid" screen that instructs me to request my service provider to unlock my iPhone.

So it seems like there's a disconnect somewhere. I'd very much appreciate any help on this so that I can take advantage of the full value I've paid for my phone. Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Re: iPhone Unlocking Issues

An update on this in that Apple today has confirmed that the phone is still showing as locked to Sprint in their system. I appreciate any help in resolving this.