Unlocked iPhone locked to Virgin Mobile - Virgin wont unlock unless I pay for 14 days of service

Highlighted
Not applicable

Unlocked iPhone locked to Virgin Mobile - Virgin wont unlock unless I pay for 14 days of service

Hi,

I have an unlocked iPhone SE that I purchased directly from the Apple Store. I tried using the iPhone with Virgin Mobile but did not get recieption in my house and chose to cancel my plan right away. I have since moved and I am now looking to use the iPhone on another Sprint MVNO. However, Virgin wont unlock the phone unless I pay for a months of service. 

How can Virgin Mobile put a block on a phone that: 1. wasnt purchased from them 2. never worked on their network? Now they want me to pay for a months of service so they can unlock it! Sounds like blackmail to me. 

Any advice on how to get my unlocked phone to work on the Sprint network without having to pay the ransom Virgin are requesting?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Agent

Hi there, NewmanRI! It is not possible for us to lock an originally unlocked device. If it was unlocked when you activated it, it remains unlocked. Keep in mind that, during the inner circle promotion, Apple was carrying our phones and it is possible that it was not originally unlocked (if you bought it around that time). 

Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Edmund, 

Thanks for your reply. I think I might have been unclear in my original post. The phone is still unlocked and can be used on non-Sprint networks. However, it is locked to Virgin Mobile on the Sprint Network via the IMEI nr. This means I cant use Sprint or Sprint MVNOs. I was told by customer service that I have to activate the phone for at least 14 days to be able to unlock it and use it on the Sprint network. This is obvisouly totally absurd. There must be a way for Virgin to remove the lock Im sure?

@EdmundM 

Highlighted
Agent

I see. The process that you need then is a re-Sku. As for the ones doing it, it needs to be the company that you will use it on. This is not a lock, but as Virgin mobile we can only re-sku the device to Virgin mobile, so you would need to contact tech support for the MVNO that you are trying to activate it on. Also keep in mind that their policy for BYOD may be different, and it is never guaranteed that an unlocked phone will be accepted by the system.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Thanks!

This is the reply I got from the MVNO:

"We did reach out to Sprint regarding a re-sku and that is when they reached out to us mentioning the Virgin Mobile requirement for 12 months to be active."

@EdmundM 

Highlighted
Agent

That would be the case if the phone was locked to us, which is not possible if it was originally unlocked. Let's take a closer look. Please send us a private message with the IMEI so we may work with you through there.

You can send a private message by clicking on my name, then selecting the message option from the profile page.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Done! 

@EdmundM