Unlocked Iphones from Apple & Boost customer care

Go to solution
Highlighted

Unlocked Iphones from Apple & Boost customer care

I have been a boost customer for over 8 years now, and currently have a iphone 5s. I have been checking into getting a iphone 6 or 7, and in doing so I have called the Apple store directly and asked them if I could buy the device from them and it work with Boost. Their answer to me was that as long as its a unlocked device OR sprint device that it will work with Boost. Then I turned around and called Boost Customer Care and asked the same question, at which point the Boost Customer Care Representative told me that if the device is from the Apple store and unlocked then yes it will work with Boost Mobile.

All the while reading everything on this site, anytime somebody asks about iphones 6 & 7 working with Boost Mobile if they're bought from Apple, the answers seem to be run around like as in if they really don't know the answer. To me honestly, I don't think the Apple store representative would sell a unlocked Iphone 6 or Iphone 7 to a customer under the presumption that it will work with Boost Mobile if in fact it wouldn't. So who is correct here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Guru

Re: Unlocked Iphones from Apple & Boost customer care

Hi,

[Edited by Community Manager]

So, would it work? Yes, the Apple Unlocked device has full support both Sprint and Boost mobile towers, network, and frequencies.  The phone is definitely capable of working with either Sprint or Boost!  Apple has a HUGE list of their phones, and their supported alternate carriers here http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

However, Boost will not support you in activating any device that is not A) a Boost Branded phone or B) a Sprint phone that is on this list https://www.boostmobile.com/support/faq/phones-devices/activate-a-sprint-phone/

So what does that mean?  Well, in short, you, or a Boost Dealer that you can convince to help you for a fee, will have to have some phone programming knowledge.  Mainly programming you APNs, MIN & MDN.  I personally know 2 people that have gotten their Google Nexus 6P devices working with their Boost service and 2 others using Samsung devices that are not on the 'offical' list.

If you go to try this you must ask Boost Customer Service for a Re-SKU or an ESN recovery.  Sprint/Boost/Virgin needs to Add your individual phones ESN to their 'allowed' list.

Do reply if more question!

Yours,
-J
Check my badges!
If I have answered your question, please be sure to click the Accepted Solution_B.GIF button at the bottom of my Reply, so others can quickly find the answer they are looking for!

- Edited by SeaWolf

Community Manager

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Guru

Hi,

[Edited by Community Manager]

So, would it work? Yes, the Apple Unlocked device has full support both Sprint and Boost mobile towers, network, and frequencies.  The phone is definitely capable of working with either Sprint or Boost!  Apple has a HUGE list of their phones, and their supported alternate carriers here http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

However, Boost will not support you in activating any device that is not A) a Boost Branded phone or B) a Sprint phone that is on this list https://www.boostmobile.com/support/faq/phones-devices/activate-a-sprint-phone/

So what does that mean?  Well, in short, you, or a Boost Dealer that you can convince to help you for a fee, will have to have some phone programming knowledge.  Mainly programming you APNs, MIN & MDN.  I personally know 2 people that have gotten their Google Nexus 6P devices working with their Boost service and 2 others using Samsung devices that are not on the 'offical' list.

If you go to try this you must ask Boost Customer Service for a Re-SKU or an ESN recovery.  Sprint/Boost/Virgin needs to Add your individual phones ESN to their 'allowed' list.

Do reply if more question!

Yours,
-J
Check my badges!
If I have answered your question, please be sure to click the Accepted Solution_B.GIF button at the bottom of my Reply, so others can quickly find the answer they are looking for!

- Edited by SeaWolf

Community Manager

View solution in original post

Thank you for the answer. So, the bottomline is: unless I can find a Boostmobile dealer who has the knowledge to help me activate the phone, don't risk.... (sigh). 

I bought an unlocked iPhone from Apple. You need the mId number from the phone. You must call boost to get their SIM card once you get it then call boost they will activate it.

Just need to call boost mobile. They are fast in sending you the SIM card. As soon as you get the phone from apple you will have the MEID # to give boost. Once you get the SIM card write down the numbers on it then put it in the slot. Call boost then they will activate it.
Groupie

7 Apple iPhone unlock from the network, will be working in other countries RUSSIA will support other foreign network
Guru

Hi again.
In my previous post , I mentioned that to use your phone on Boost with their full support it must be a Boost Phone or on the list of Sprint phones. Well for iPhone this is not entirely true as there is official support for additional iPhone Models. You can read the details here;
https://www.boostmobile.com/support/faq/phones-devices/bring-your-device/
For a detailed list of model numbers.
As time goes by, expect older models to fall off the list and newer models to be added.

Yours,
-J
zip

Sir,

I received the Boast Mobile SIM card and a new unlocked SIM free iPhone 7 Plus from the Apple store, called Boast Mobile Customer Service and was told after giving the IMEI number which the Customer Service Representative requested was told that the phone could not be activated.  According to the Customer Representative they were not activating iPhone 7 Plus only iPhone 7.  The way I got the sim card was Customer Support sent me to the Tech Support center and the guy told me that I would be able to activate an Apple store bought phone using the sim card he sent.  You wouldn't have a direct number to Boast Mobile Tech Support that you could provide?

Groupie

I HAD MY IPHONE SE UNLOCKED VERSION WHICH I PURCHASED ONLINE AT THE APPLE STORE..... I PUT IN THE BOOST SIM..... DOES NOT WORK. FIRST I GET A "SIM CARD LOCKED" ERROR AND THEN "SIM CARD INVALID"?????

Accomplice

How can my iPhone 7 plus get a re-SKU? I think boost messed with my serial numbers because no other carrier will activate it because it's restricted to boost. Boost just told me it's not restricted that I may need to re-sku my iPhone! Wtf is that and how do I do it?