The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro promise the biggest changes to Apple's lineup in years, from the sheer number of models and a new design to 5G connectivity and a powerful new A14 Bionic processor. You can also expect a big camera upgrade and possibly 120Hz displays for the Pro models.
IPHONE 12: WHAT TO EXPECT
• iPhone 12 launch date: Sept. 8 (rumored)
• iPhone 12 release date: October
• Models: iPhone 12 (5.4 inches), iPhone 12 Max (6.1 inches), iPhone 12 Pro (6.1 inches), iPhone 12 Pro Max (6.7 inches)
• Prices: $649 (iPhone 12), $749 (iPhone 12 Max), $999 (iPhone 12 Pro), $1,099 (iPhone 12 Pro Max)
• Processor: A14 (all models)
• Screens: OLED (all models)
• Other features: 5G compatibility, LiDAR sensor on Pro models, 120Hz refresh rate on Pro models
Although the iPhone 12's launch could be delayed from its usual September rollout — though there's some argument as to how big that delay will be — rumors and leaks have painted a pretty full picture of what to expect from Apple's new handsets, including the release date, price and specs.
The iPhone 12 is expected to come in four models: the 5.4-inch iPhone 12, 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Max, 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro, and 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max. All of the new iPhone 12 devices should feature OLED displays and 5G connectivity, but the iPhone 12 Pro series would step up to a 120Hz refresh rate and triple rear cameras, plus a LiDAR sensor.
We could also see a new design for Apple’s phones, one that hearkens back to the iPhone 5’s flat edges and more squared-off look. And there should be a slimmer notch, too.
The best phones you can buy now
iPhone 12 vs. iPhone 11: The biggest changes to expect
The iPhone 12 isn't expected until the fall — when exactly is anybody's guess — but here’s everything we know so far about Apple's next smartphones.