How do I switch to an iPhone X and activate the device & SIM?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Not applicable

How do I switch to an iPhone X and activate the device & SIM?

I received an unlocked iPhone X as a gift and want to swap my iPhine SE out for the new X. It was purchased from the Apple store, is paid in full and is compatible with the Sprint network. I attempted to follow the directions you provide on your site but they are poorly written and have several dead links to “further information.” Why is it so difficult to switch from one iPhone to another iPhone on the VM network? Everything about this process has been, difficult, frustrating and most definitely NOT the customer experience that Sir Richard Branson had in mind when he launched the brand. I want to like the Virgin Mobile brand, but you’re not making it easy, that’s for sure.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accomplice

Hi there! What you need to do is receive a SIM card from an agent at an Apple store. Tell them you have an iPhone X and you are a Virgin Mobile customer and need a VM SIM card from them. They will be able to assist you in setting up your phone and transferring your service to the iPhone X. You need this new VM sim card since the older ones that came out previously are not compatible with the newer iPhone models. They did this for me and I now have a working iPhone X on VM, so I hope this will be able to help you out!

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Guru

Your post does not specify the model you got nor what sim card you have for it.

Without knowing this and what steps you have followed it is hard to diagnose where the problem lies.

Did you get the sim card you need for the iPhoneX--it is model SIMOLW416Qand is it new and unactivated?

If you have the sim card and the IMEI is eligible there should be no problem in swapping the device.

Simply follow the prompts under Manage My Account and it should work.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Apple iPhone X (Unlocked)
256GB
SPACE GRAY
MQCN2LL/A
A1865
I attempted to use the SIM that VM shipped with the iPhone SE I received as part of joining Inner Circle in September.
Highlighted
Agent

Hi there, LeavnonaJet! The iPhone X is not eligible for Bring Your Own Device as they use an I-SIM, our BYOD SIM’s are C-SIMs and do not work with the new iPhone models.

Highlighted
Not applicable

That doesn’t make any sense. You’re currently selling the iPhone X on your website.
Highlighted
Agent

Understood. If you pre-order the Virgin Mobile iPhone X, you'll be able to activate it.

Highlighted
Accomplice

Hi there! What you need to do is receive a SIM card from an agent at an Apple store. Tell them you have an iPhone X and you are a Virgin Mobile customer and need a VM SIM card from them. They will be able to assist you in setting up your phone and transferring your service to the iPhone X. You need this new VM sim card since the older ones that came out previously are not compatible with the newer iPhone models. They did this for me and I now have a working iPhone X on VM, so I hope this will be able to help you out!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accomplice

And yet despite this statement, several members have posted of success getting a Ten on VM at the apple store.

I tried as they had a Sprint one available in store but none of the sales folk were sure what was needed. I have asked what exactly is needed? 

Highlighted
Guru

The main thing you need it the correct sim.

It is model SIMOLW416Q.

The Apple Store should have it because it also works on the model 8.  Be careful though if the Apple employee is not familiar with Sprint he/she may try to use the older model--SIMGLW436C--which does not work. Make sure the activation is completed in the Apple Store before you leave and the phone is working.

You can also get one from Ting, Best Buy and other places. 

https://ting.com/shop/sim

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/boost-mobile-tri-branded-sim-card-activation-kit/5887020.p?skuId=588702...

I happened to be at the Apple Store today and supply has really improved.

Personally, I would opt for the Verizon model as it is more flexible than the Sprint version.  I heard in the Apple Store that the sim free model will not be available until January 2018.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/12/01/order-your-iphone-x-from-apple-and-receive-it-in-less-than-a...

Highlighted
Not applicable

What makes the Verizon version more flexible than the Sprint version?  Aren't they both unlocked CDMA phones?

Also, would getting a Verizon version cause problems with the IMEI not being registered for use on the Sprint network (and thus VM)?