Facetime, speakerphone and microphone cutting out

Go to solution
Highlighted
Not applicable

Facetime, speakerphone and microphone cutting out

I have had this new Iphone 7+ for a couple months now and have suffered through some terrible connections on Facetime, speakerphone and just regular phone conversations. Consistently, the other person complains how they can not hear me, it cuts out, and is muffled.

I have done ALL the Apple troubleshooting: Reset network settings, reset all settings, voice memo microphone test, full restore, their in store hardware and software test and to no avail.

I think this a network setting, but I have been getting strong LTE where I live. Can someone please help me?!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Guru

Ok.  The problem is your connection to the network.

The ping times you are showing are not within the required range for acceptable communications.

Typically, I get ping time of under 30 and often less than 20.

I suggest you contact an agent and request a review of network status in your location.  This is not a problem with your phone or anything you can fix yourself.

Virgin Mobile agents have "Social Care Virgin Mobile" avatars and when the mouse hovers over the avatar the word "agent" appears.

A PM can be sent by clicking on the avatar which opens up the Profile page where the option to send a PM is visible.

Agents can also be contacted on Facebook or Twitter.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Guru

A few questions:

1) does this happen no matter where you are making/receiving the call?

2) does this happen only with a specific caller (s) or with everyone?

3) is there any difference in performance depending on the network the person on the other end is on?

4) have you asked for suggestions on the Apple support communities?

Try running a speed test under two separate conditions: a) LTE off and wifi on and b) LTE on and wifi on.

Post back results including ping.

Highlighted
Not applicable

1) Yes it happens all over the place and not 100% (more like 80)

2) Nope. All// a variety of callers

3) Not that I have noticed.. Att-- Virgin ---  Verizon have been explicitly tested

4) Nope

5) I've done both of those

Wifi OnlyWifi Only

Cellular onlyCellular only

Highlighted
Guru

Ok.  The problem is your connection to the network.

The ping times you are showing are not within the required range for acceptable communications.

Typically, I get ping time of under 30 and often less than 20.

I suggest you contact an agent and request a review of network status in your location.  This is not a problem with your phone or anything you can fix yourself.

Virgin Mobile agents have "Social Care Virgin Mobile" avatars and when the mouse hovers over the avatar the word "agent" appears.

A PM can be sent by clicking on the avatar which opens up the Profile page where the option to send a PM is visible.

Agents can also be contacted on Facebook or Twitter.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post