Boost not allowing unlocked iPhone 11's

Highlighted
Accomplice

Boost not allowing unlocked iPhone 11's

Boost just sent me this private message.  "Thank you for the information. We have confirmed you're trying to bring an unlocked iPhone 11 that is not from our Boost Mobile network. Unfortunately, that device is not compatible for bringing to our carrier. We truly apologize. "

There is no difference between the devices.  One is locked and one is unlocked.  Is Boost's new policy that devices must be locked to their network to be on Boost?  

35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Accomplice

Re: Boost not allowing unlocked iPhone 11's

This business practice will mark the end of Boost.  

Highlighted
Agent

We understand your frustration, @regularjoe84, & we apologize for the inconvenience! A phone designed for one network is not compatible with another network merely by unlocking it as there are other checks that would block it from being compatible (such as if the phone was previously reported lost or stolen). Due to this limitation, some phones aren't compatible.

Highlighted
Accomplice

I don't mean to burst your bubble on this, but that's just factually NOT TRUE.  The phone you sell for $599 after the 1 year period IS IDENTICAL to the phone I am trying to add to your network IN EVERY RESPECT.  

It is a COMPLETE AND TOTAL LIE TO CALL THIS A COMPATIBILITY ISSUE.  Boost made the decision to not allow UNLOCKED iphone 11's on their network.  It's fine if that's the decision Boost is making, but it's BOOST MOBILE'S decision.  It is not an issue with the phone.

If it's an issue with the phone, cite the part of the specification that's different from my unlocked phone and the one you are selling?

Let me let you in on the punchline.  You can't because they are IDENTICAL except your phone is locked to the boost network.  

Highlighted

I have been with the carrier for over 5 years and decided to update my phone to the Iphone 11 Pro Max this year. I got the unlocked phone directly from Apple since who knows when it will become available on Boost website. Tried to activate the phone and could not. I have talked to 3-4 reps and none of them could give me an explanation. finally escalated to a "supervisor" who said right now Boost does not allow for unlocked carrier phone. I have also tried using a sprint sim card (BYOK) but when i called Boost to activate the device, same issues. So frustrated and upset, I went ahead and canceled the plan. My ONLY regret is that I stuck around with BOOST for so long!!! There are so many other good plans out there you guys, currently AT&T has 8gb plan, unlimited talk and text for $25 a month, Mint Mobile has the same plan for $20 a month. BOOST, if you want to keep your customer, you have to change your policy & shady business practice!!!
Highlighted
Accomplice

Man I guess just lucky I have had Boost since Nextel chirp days and have been satisfied. I love my 4 lines 100 bucks family plan with unlimited talk, text, and 30gb hotspot. Man really do hate people unhappy, but I guess they could of clearly defined policy of not allowing unlocked phones. I always get mine from Boost, so never had this issue but I'd be mad if paid money for phone and then couldn't use it on their network.

Highlighted
Accomplice

I’m an Apple employee and I’m having the same problem with Boost my son has Unlocked and Sim Free phones and Boost told me maybe next month they would allow for the Unlocked Device to work ok their network. They are full of it and I will definitely let Apple know during my next Team Meeting that Boost Mobile customers can’t use the Unlocked and SIM free phones purchased through Apple. Boost will definitely lose a lot of customers. I see they’ve made the iPhone 11 64GB $100 less then Apple, I guess as part of their tactic to get ppl to purchase directly through them. I’m taking my service to Mint Mobile.
Highlighted
Accomplice

The iPhone 11 Pro Max unlocked works with Boost Mobile.
Highlighted
Accomplice

When I purchased my son’s IPhone 11 I was told by Boost in September that I would need to purchase the device from them directly. I work for Apple and customer tell us the same thing even now in November. I’ve moved my son’s service to a different company since September.
Highlighted
Groupie

I can deal with Boost's janky website, not great customer service and so-so coverage because their rates are good and the service is open. I (and my family) have been a customer for years. I would have gone on indefinitely as a customer. Now, after finding out my new phone unlocked, 100% network compatible phone is not allowed on the network, I'm gone (within 24 hours). I hadn't researched competitor prices but I see I can get a better rate with another national carrier.

Boost, the executive in charge of making this decision should be fired.