Activating iPhone with New Number

Go to solution
Highlighted
Not applicable

Activating iPhone with New Number

Hi. I have a friend who bought me a virgin phone as a gift (an iphone). She had my current number and figured that I would like to transfer it for the promotional "$1 for a year of service" deal. I received the phone and am trying to activate it. The problem is that I DON'T actually want to transfer my phone number, and instead want a new number (I am getting divorced, and my wife will keep my old phone and phone number).

When I am going through the activation steps online, and I get to the part where it asks my phone number situation, I click on "I want a new phone number" and it warns me that this disqualifies me from the $1 promotion and I will have to pay $50 a month. Ok, no problem. Except it still asks me for all of the old phone number information "so that we can transfer over your phone number."

This is getting very frustrating and I really just want to activate my new phone with a new number so that I can give my wife my old phone and be done with it. Please help me!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Not applicable

Pressing 0 repeatedly resulted in the robot telling me that I didn't give an expected choice and hanging up on me.

I did solve it on my own. Instead of using the initial email address (the one my friend used when she bought it), I used a different email address. That allowed me to set up the account, get a new number, and activate it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Promoter

I totally undersantd where you are coming from. You want a new number so you don't have to be bothered with the other one. 
All of my research shows that for the promotion, it must include that you port your old number, and it seems that it is absolutely required.  That being said, SUPER EASY FIX FOR YOU

transfer in your number, and then after it is activated, Call Customer Service ( 1-888-322-1122  ) keep dialzing ZERO until you get an operator, and then Request a Phone Number Change. It will be SUPER Simple and easy to do, and that will solve your problem :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers!

:grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

Highlighted
Not applicable

Ok, I really get the feeling that people are just kind of glancing at my post and making assumptions about what my issue is instead of actually reading it.

I don't want the $1 for a year plan. I don't want to port over my verizon number, and then change it. I don't want to port over anything. My wife is going to keep the old phone AND the old phone number.

I want to activate my new phone WITH a new number, and pay the $50 a month for service. When I try doing this online via the phone activation portal, it keeps defaulting to the $1 for a year and port over your old number. EVEN WHEN I CHOOSE TO HAVE A NEW NUMBER INSTEAD, it keeps asking for the verizon account information so that the verizon number can be ported over.

How do I activate this phone with a new number, and NOT transfer the old number? It seems there is no way to actually talk to a real person in anything close to a realistic timeframe (either via chat or talking on the phone), which is very frustrating and unhelpful. Sending an email (or making a forum post) and then waiting around all day for someone to reply isn't very helpful. Especially when the people replying keep missing the point of what I'm asking.

Highlighted
Promoter

How about giving customer service a call :slightly_smiling_face: 1888 322 1122 keep pressing 0 until you get a operator, sorry if you felt like people are not reading your post, take a deep breath it will all be fixed.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Pressing 0 repeatedly resulted in the robot telling me that I didn't give an expected choice and hanging up on me.

I did solve it on my own. Instead of using the initial email address (the one my friend used when she bought it), I used a different email address. That allowed me to set up the account, get a new number, and activate it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Promoter

Oh! that's fantastic news to hear! Great Work Diuturna!!!