ZTE Max XL gets text messages multiple times

Go to solution
Accomplice

Re: ZTE Max XL gets text messages multiple times

Don't bother with tech support. After I called five times on this same issue, they finally elevated it to advanced technology support. After several times on the phone with them, I'm still having the issue. They clearly don't know how to fix it, or mine would have been fixed by now.
Agent

Hi, @creash It seems this was an issue with the last update the device received. The last information we received from ZTE was that they opened a ticket to fix this, but up until now we haven't had other feedback. See this thread where the community moderator informed of this to ZTE community members.

Accomplice

I don't care who fixes it, as long as it gets fixed. It is really getting old.
Accomplice

Yeah. I've called boost mobile at least half a dozen times trying to get the problem fixed. Problem is, half of the support people I talked to don't know that it's a known issue with ZTE phones, so they keep having me do the same things over and over, that don't work. Today, one finally patched me over to ZTE tech support. They said all they will do is have me mail the device so they can repair it. As soon as I told him that it's an issue with ZTE phones generally, not just my device,, he hung up on me.

Accomplice

Yep. Getting up for work at 5:30 in the morning when you have been getting the same text over and over till 2 a.m. really sucks. And I'm a manager, so I have to have my phone on in case something goes wrong and one of my employees has to call me. Boost can't/won't fix the problem. Most of the tech people don't even know that it's a ZTE issue, so you're calling and doing the same steps over and over, and they don't listen when you tell them that you've already been through these steps half a dozen times and they don't work. And they don't give a crap about their customers, because if I were Boost, and there was a known issue with zTE phones that ZTE won't fix, I'd stop selling ZTE phones immediately until they did fix it. But they get their money so they don't care.

I can see you all pulling your hair out over this and I know it's a ZTE problem  known throughout every carrier but...

The "short term" workaround that really seems to work is go to Google play. Find and install  Android Messages. Set it as your default message app. I know it sucks that you should even have to but seems anything to lower your stress level would be worth it...

Android messages is a Google program, so no ads and fairly trustworthy. I seem to recall this being mentioned before but maybe it got lost in the ether..

Accomplice

Android Messages already is my default message app. So yeah, that doesn't work. Instead of repeatedly giving solutions that don't work, why don't you tell ZTE that you''ll stop selling their phones until they get the problem fixed? Might pressure them into fixing it.

Sorry.

I don't work for Boost mobile nor am I affiliated in any way. Don't work for ZTE either or ever owned one of their phones.

But I did/do see a lot of "activity" about ZTE on the major forums. I.E. xda developers, Android central and even Reddit.

This does seem to be a ZTE problem in general, not a specific Max XL problem.

Changing the default app does seem to help the majority of users.

Your mileage may vary.

Highlighted
Accomplice

Android Messages is also my default app & I've started having this same issue last night. Receiving the same text messages at least 5 - 6 times, back to back. This is EXTREMELY ANNOYING
Agent

Sorry to hear that, Reesah. You can try using a different messaging app. You can download them from the Google Play Store.