ZTE MAX XL Voicemail troubles

Go to solution
Highlighted

ZTE MAX XL Voicemail troubles

Hello, I recently purchased the ZTE MAX XL and I have just noticed that I do not get voicemail notifications. I have everything turned on so I can get voicemail notifications but nothing shows up. Boss recently told me that he left me 4 new voicemails so thats when I noticed that I was not gettting my voicemail notifications. This phone did not come with a visual voicemail app, and I try to download an app from the playstore but It does not let me download a app, due to the reason that boost mobile does not support 3rd party voicemail forwarding. I went back to the boost mobile store where I purchased the phone and nobody seems to know what is going on. I can not return the phone because I only had 4 days to return it and I went on the 5th day. I need help with this becuase gettting my voicemail notifications is very important to me. I do not know what else to do,  help. thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accomplice

Re: ZTE MAX XL Voicemail troubles

I got this phone a week ago and had the same problem.  There was no visual voicemail nor was there even a regular voicemail icon to alert you to messages.   I called Boost Mobile and a re-install of the software fixed it, with visual voicemail showing up.  Also, a second screen page of a lot of other BM stuff, eg Amazon, Kindle, Solitaire, etc also showed up.  You can do the reset yourself.  Just go into the setting menu and go to backup and reset and do a factory reset.   Make sure you're in an area with acceptable LT coverage, not sure if it will work over wifi.   It does an intial reset and load, then a couple mins later it applies a final update that has VM and the other stuff.   You will lose any stuff you've put on the phone, but hopefully you haven't done much customizing.    I had to do this 2 more times with my new phone because of other issues.  BM couldn't resolve my missing VM any other way.   Other than those issues, it's really a great phone, at least so far....

Also, AFAIK, you can't use a third party visual VM app like Youmail because BM doesn't support conditional call forwarding.  But the BM visual VM app is fine for me.   From what I can gather, it's free for basic, they charge $3 a month for premium which mainly gives you voice to text.  You get a free 2 week trial with a new phone/service.  That's how I think it works, but BM support insisted that you have to pay $3 for any visual voice mail.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Accomplice

I got this phone a week ago and had the same problem.  There was no visual voicemail nor was there even a regular voicemail icon to alert you to messages.   I called Boost Mobile and a re-install of the software fixed it, with visual voicemail showing up.  Also, a second screen page of a lot of other BM stuff, eg Amazon, Kindle, Solitaire, etc also showed up.  You can do the reset yourself.  Just go into the setting menu and go to backup and reset and do a factory reset.   Make sure you're in an area with acceptable LT coverage, not sure if it will work over wifi.   It does an intial reset and load, then a couple mins later it applies a final update that has VM and the other stuff.   You will lose any stuff you've put on the phone, but hopefully you haven't done much customizing.    I had to do this 2 more times with my new phone because of other issues.  BM couldn't resolve my missing VM any other way.   Other than those issues, it's really a great phone, at least so far....

Also, AFAIK, you can't use a third party visual VM app like Youmail because BM doesn't support conditional call forwarding.  But the BM visual VM app is fine for me.   From what I can gather, it's free for basic, they charge $3 a month for premium which mainly gives you voice to text.  You get a free 2 week trial with a new phone/service.  That's how I think it works, but BM support insisted that you have to pay $3 for any visual voice mail.

View solution in original post

Accomplice

Forgot to add, another indication that you have the missing software update is if you have Boost Zone app and no My Boost app.  My Boost apparently is the new successor to Boost Zone.   After I did ther full reset and reload, it showed up too.

Accomplice

My fiance and I each purchased one of these phones and are having the same issue on both. Glad I came across this.
I talked to boost customer service and was told, "yes, your phone is supposed to have visual voicemail. Just take it back to the store and have them explain it and fix it.". Wow...

Thank you so much. I had the very same issue and called Customer Support, the rep was polite but at a loss in what to do. She transferred me to Tech Support but I  was sent to billing then disconnected. Before I tried to call back I looked at the Community and sure enough, the very first thing "my issue." I did as you instructed and voila everything was fixed. I also got those new apps you noted.

Why isn't Boost aware of this "issue" and doing something about it????? 

Groupie

I've tried restarting the phone quite a few times now and I'm still unable to get the "My Boost".

What am I doing wrong with it?
Accomplice

"Restarting"? That would be rebooting /powering down. Did you do a factory reset, which wipes the phone, reloads the software?
Community Manager

Hey thanks @trader4 for helping out with a great tip for people.

Before you do a factory reset, you can also try going to the phone dialer app and typing in ##BRAND#  Your device should reload all the Boost apps like My Boost Mobile, Voicemail.  

Community Manager

Captain of the Pirate Ship the Vicious Cream Puff

If my post (or someone else's) was especially amusing, helpful, or informative, show a little love by clicking the 'thumbs' up' icon to give it a kudos or marking it the Accepted Solution.

Accomplice

I did the factory reset on my wifes phone and then a few days later the 7 ghost voicemails showed up again but there are no voicemails it just shows when you swipe down the top that there are 7 v/m but in reality there are none. Now what?

Accomplice

I have seen this phantom voicemail issue too. It happened to me about a week ago, then again yesterday. It's like you say, there is the VM symbol at the top of the screen with the other notification symbols and the pull down says there is a VM pending, but it doesn't show up in visual voicemail and if you call in to check VM, there is nothing there. The one from a week ago went away on its own after a few days. It's another bug, something I've never seen with other carriers. Maybe you should start a new thread here for this problem.