8gb hotspot

Go to solution
Enthusiast

8gb hotspot

I have an 8gb hotspot add-on for my phone. I'd just like to request a way to check usage in order to attempt managing a capped limit. Currently tech support says that there is no way to get the accurate usage data without contacting support each time. And by accurate, I fully appreciate that the phone keeps track of data and wifi data, but it does not reflect a number even close to what tech support reports. Meanwhile, my lovely wife who has been a loyal AT&T user, can tell me what her mobile hotspot usage is instantaneously on a link available to hotspot users. BOOST PLEASE HELP!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Agent

Re: 8gb hotspot

@SEPowell Hi. You can find your data usage by accessing your account online at https://myaccount.boostmobile.com/. The amount used varies depending on the quality of the video that you stream. It is estimated that watching TV shows or movies on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video. The answer to your other question would be yes, the $50 unlimited plan has a dedicated 8gb add-on solely for hotspot.

8 REPLIES
Accomplice

I'm surprised you would discover there being a big difference in data usage displayed by your phone, and data reported by tech support without including which was highest. Are we to assume the phone was displaying a lower number, and are both giving info in "real time" up to the second?
Groupie

I've also been trying to determine where I can find my Hotspot balance (used and available). Secondly, I'm not tech savvy enough to determine how much I have based on the GB terminology. I primarily use my Hotspot to watch Netflix or other TV Apps on my Roku TV, so being able to translate GB or MB into real time as hours and/or minutes would be more beneficial for me. 1. How do i check Hotspot vs High-speed usage, and 2. Is there any logic to convert Hotspot measurement into real time since I only use it for one thing?
Groupie

My other question is for Hotspot vs High-speed. Am I understanding correctly that the 8GB is solely dedicated to Hotspot usage and anytime I am using apps or on the internet without Hotspot on is applying ONLY to the high-speed?
Agent

@SEPowell Hi. You can find your data usage by accessing your account online at https://myaccount.boostmobile.com/. The amount used varies depending on the quality of the video that you stream. It is estimated that watching TV shows or movies on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video. The answer to your other question would be yes, the $50 unlimited plan has a dedicated 8gb add-on solely for hotspot.

Groupie

Your new & improved Boost app DOES NOT indicate whether data use is from hotspot or mobile data included in $60 unlimited plan. So where does one find the actual usage for both?
Agent

Hello! Thank you for contacting us. If you go to usage, it should show: Data, Talk, Text & Hotspot. Could you please check that?

Highlighted
Groupie

It does not show hotspot usage at all on the boost mobile app. Not sure why you think it does. In fact there is no mention of hotspot at all. You guys need to finish your app. It would seem to be a pretty basic feature to add. Right now your app is incomplete and its kind of ridiculous to be lacking such a basic feature. Do you guys need some programmers or something? Pay me and I'll finish your app for you. Also, just my opinion but 8GB hotspot allowance is pathetic. I can use that up in less than 3 hours watching HD shows on Netflix. Boost needs to step up their game and include unlimited hotspot with the $50 plan. Data is not a scarce and expensive commodity these days despite what cell carriers may claim. You would think it was fossil fuel the way they talk about the "limited resources we must share". If you haven't figured it out I'm a little pissed off about this obnoxious hotspot limit. I switched to the 50 dollar plan yesterday, and the hotspot limit was reached hours ago. Not happy.
Accomplice

yes, me either. all i would need is a connection to the web it doesnt need to be high speed just able to connect my wife has boost on 30$ 1 gb plan and once her data is out its just slowed doesnt cut off like mine
And i pay 50$ on unlimited data and when it hits 8:gb it shuts off and we have to switch phones for the rest of the month so i can have hot spot so why cant i get a plan like hers really i wouls still pay the 50$ and keep all the high speed i just need to be able to connect to the web.