Accomplice

J3Comparison.png

Ever look at a phone and wonder, how it compares to another? Which has the better camera? Who has the faster processor? What version of Android does each run? How much memory does each have? Since most users will likely be spending the next 18-24 months with their phone, these are all important questions.

I’ve spent the last several weeks with the Galaxy J3 Emerge and I began to wonder how it stacked up to other Boost phones so I figured I would see how the J3 compares to the LG Tribute HD.

Hardware

First, let’s take a look at each phones hardware. The J3 Emerge has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 8917 while the Tribute HD has Qualcomm Snapdragon 212 8909 v2. Both are Quad-core’s, with the J3 Emerge clocking in at 1400 MHz and the Tribute HD at 1300 MHz. While both are similar, the J3 Emerge does have the edge with the Snapdragon 425 being the newer processor. Lastly, when it comes to graphics processors, both are similar with the J3 Emerge using the Adreno 308 and the Tribute HD using the Adreno 304. CNET’s 2011 article Smartphones Unlocked: Understanding Processors, is a great place to start if you want to know more about what makes processors different.

Camera

The J3 Emerge has a 5MP rear camera and a 2MP front-facing camera while the Tribute HD has an 8MP rear camera and a 5MP front facing camera. The J3 Emerge can record video in 1080p HD whereas the Tribute HD is only able to record in 720p HD. Both have multiple camera options such as self-timer, digital zoom, and geotagging and both have multiple shooting modes.

Operating System

While both phones run the same Android 6.0 Marshmallow operating system, the difference is in the manufacturer UI overlay. The J3 Emerge uses TouchWiz Grace UX whereas the LG Tribute HD uses LG UX 5.0. Which is better? Well, both have similar features and functions. Both are customizable to a degree so it really comes down to a matter of taste. My personal preference is LG’s user interface. I like the overall look and feel of it a little more than Samsung’s.

Memory

Onboard memory and device storage come in at a tie. Both have 1.5GB of RAM with 16GB of built-in storage. Both have the capability of adding expandable memory but the J3 Emerge can add up to 256GB, the Tribute HD can only add up to 32GB.

Battery

Each phone comes with a removable battery. The J3 Emerge has a 2600 mAh which gives it 23 hours of talk time. By comparison, the Tribute HD has a slightly smaller battery coming in at 2100 mAh which gives 15 hours of talk time.

Comparing devices is a big part of any decision making process and thankfully, Boost has an awesome device comparison feature over in their Phone Shop. You can select up to four devices at once and you’ll be presented with a helpful grid that gives you many of these details and more.

To get started, click the “Add to compare” box under the phones you are interested in and then click the “Compare” button on the left hand side.

J3Comparison1.png

J3Comparison3.png