Unlocked Galaxy S9+ not compatible?

Highlighted

Unlocked Galaxy S9+ not compatible?

I recently bought an unlocked Galaxy S9+ from Best Buy. I'm being told it's not compatible with Boost. But I'm seeing other people on the forum say they're using theirs. And actually saw boost themselves say it would be compatible. Why won't mine work?
2 REPLIES 2
Agent

Re: Unlocked Galaxy S9+ not compatible?

Hello, @Phattmann1225. Thanks for contacting us. At the moment, only the Samsung Galaxy S9+ SE purchased from Samsung manufacturer, Open Market is compatible with us. 

We suggest you visit the following link to check the compatibility of the phone: https://boost.co/2o8jFRc. If you have any question, just let us know. 

Accomplice

Re: Unlocked Galaxy S9+ not compatible?

The difference is between the "type" of unlocked phone you pick up. At Best Buy stores most unlocked phones are GSM network unlocked, meaning they will work with carriers like AT&T or T-Mobile. With those carriers when you get a new phone all you have to do to switch is simply move your SIM card to the network compatible new phone... It is related to the customer & account. Unlocked GSM phones work when you insert your SIM regardless of which network, as long as it is the same network type.
Verizon and Sprint-which is the network that Boost and Virgin Mobile run off of- are CDMA networks. It is a completely different type of cellular network (in which SIM cards have only become necessary because of a law that requires phones that are owned outright for a period of time have the ability to be unlocked in the future for any other network use). Prior to a few years ago CDMA phones didn't even have a spot for SIM cards. If you purchased a new Boost phone they would send you a new SIM also. If you attempted to insert your old SIM, it would not work because the CDMA network doesn't use the SIM directly like GSM but the phone's software requires that a SIM to link to a specific phone's IMEI, which then links to the customer.
Best Buy online does sell "international" unlocked phones that are both GSM/CDMA and come directly from the manufacturer (i.e. Samsung, Apple) and will work with all carriers (but always check with your carrier first & be sure they are LTE compatible with both types of networks) .
I hope that wasn't too much info or too confusing, lol, just wanted to explain why "unlocked" doesn't always mean the same thing and why a phone purchased somewhere else might work when yours doesn't. Good luck!