Samsung S8 not able to receive/make calls or texts

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Samsung S8 not able to receive/make calls or texts

My phone had an update over the weekend and since then I have not been able to make or receive calls or texts.  I have done all the cache clearing, starting and restarting with no luck.  Any thoughts?  I need my phone to work from home and log into a secure VPN so I am desperate.

222 REPLIES 222
Highlighted
Agent

Hey there @bug1996 We apologize for the inconvenience. We'd like to review this issue. Would you please be so kind to send us a Private Message, so we can further assist you? 

To send a Private Message you can go to your profile and click on the icon with an envelope. Then you enter the username of the person you want to send a message to and the subject. Or you can go to the user profile by clicking on the username and click on "Send this user a Private Message".

~JoyP.

~ Joy P.
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Similar problem here, my S8 is pretty much useless after this weekend's update.  I can't send legacy SMS or make calls, but can still receive calls and texts.  Mobile data appears to be hit or miss.  I had it, then I didn't, now it's back.  But still no calls.  Push notifications from apps appear to be somewhat functional.

Two other things I've observed: Google Maps suddenly "forgets" that GPS is actually working ("GPS Signal Lost" but if you exit Maps and go back in, it's fine, and yes, this is happening outdoors, not somewhere obvious like a parking garage) or just stalls like I'm not moving.... and with wifi enabled (or when mobile data is actually working), I can send a text message as long as either there's an image attached (MMS vs SMS) or if the other user is someone I can use "Chat" with instead of legacy SMS.

So it feels like they obviously broke something in that update but getting them to realize it, admit it, and fix it without doing what they do best -- wasting a phenomenal amount of our time having us go through unnecessarily "troubleshooting" gyrations that never accomplish anything -- seems unlikely.  But, hey, maybe this could be that one time.  

I just though I'd post to let you know that it's not just you, whatever they might tell you to the contrary.  Please update here if you have any success.... there are doubtless others in the same or similar circumstances.

FWIW the broken software version in question for me is G950USQU7DTG2.  Phone is physically located in the Cincinnati/NKY region, unsure what's relevant.

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Hi Cincymee! 

I ended up reading through a string and found this number ##72786# that a Boost tech recommended to someone else, I dialed it and BAM!!  My phone started going off with notifications.  Maybe this could work for you as well.  🙂 

Highlighted
Enthusiast

I found the same thing mentioned but was hesitant to try it, since it wasn't clear exactly how much resetting that might do.

But... since it worked for you, I decided to give it a spin.  Sure enough, that worked for me, too.  Importantly, it doesn't seem to erase or reset anything in user-land.  Old photos, texts, etc., are intact.  When I entered it and confirmed, I had an empty white screen for a little while but eventually I ended up with confirmation and everything went smoothly after that.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Accomplice

I tried this too and it seems to be working so far. Thanks!

Highlighted
Agent

Hey there @kolinator68! We apologize for the inconvenience. We'd like to review this issue. Would you please be so kind to send us a Private Message, so we can further assist you? 

To send a Private Message you can go to your profile and click on the icon with an envelope. Then you enter the username of the person you want to send a message to and the subject. Or you can go to the user profile by clicking on the username and click on "Send this user a Private Message".

Highlighted

Same here and the above fixed mine
Highlighted
Agent

Sorry to hear that you're having issues @angiedawndovel3. Please send us a private message with your phone number and pin. We'd like to take a closer look.

Highlighted

I wound up having to take it to a boost store when it started doing the same thing a second time. They had me uninstall a theme i had put on my phone and so far, it is working fine again.