Samsung Galaxy S9 - No LTE service

Go to solution
Highlighted
Accomplice

Samsung Galaxy S9 - No LTE service

For over a week now, I have had no LTE service on my S9 - only 3G. Wi-Fi works, and I can make and receive phone calls and texts, but I need that LTE service for when I'm out and about. I have tried the following:

1) Set Network Mode (under Connections/Mobil networks) to LTE/CDMA instead of Automatic. No change.

2) Took out and put back in the SIM card. No change.

3) Reset the network settings. No change.

4) Updated PRL in System Updates and restarted the phone. For a few seconds, LTE was back, but then it disappeared again.

5) Updated Profile in System Updates and restarted the phone. No change.

I have NOT tried a complete factory reset - while much of what I have is backed up, not all of it is, and I'd rather not resort to that yet if there's another solution. I see that other people have been dealing with this, too., but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on how to proceed. Can anyone help?

173 REPLIES 173
Highlighted
Accomplice

Thats what they are saying even though I spoke with a Samsung rep that I was tranferred to by Boost, who said they werent aware of that same issue. All I know is that why did it not affect any other carriers then, even people on actual Sprint and T Mobile have not reported being affected and supposedly its the same network. Its a Boost issue that they don't know how to resolve so the small amount of people affected will have to either pay for a phone that is compatible with the new network or take their phone to another carrier, most I have contacted and nonene reported any issues with LTE on any Galaxy S9 devices due to updates. Dish/Boost/Sprint/Tmobile (whatever combo they want to go by) should just say that devices that before a certain generation (S9 and below) werent going to be allowed on the new network (which is most likely the issue) since none of the newer, more expensive samsung or Apple phones are affected. Notice how you can't even buy an S9 or below on Boostmobile.com anymore. It even says that only s10 and above can be on the expanded network on the website. But by being hoinest ot would have cost them $$ during a time of a merger which is not good. whatever I have 11 days until my 2 lines are done, then so am I with Boost, Tmobile, and Sprint. I have always had one of these 3 companies for cell service. I guess its time to see what Verizon and AT&T offer. #RIPBOOST

Highlighted
Accomplice

I have the S20 5G that I bought from the Boost online store during their Memorial Day sale. I have only had 3G since I got the phone. I have an unlocked Note20 ordered from Samsung and am using this phone as a trade in. Bye, Boost.
Highlighted
Promoter

Old network of sprint CDMA is worse
Highlighted
Accomplice

I wasn't aware it was affecting the newer phones as well. I'm sorry to hear that. But good for you
Highlighted
Accomplice

Its been 2 pay cycles... still only have 3g after trying ya'lls suggestions multiple times.. im due a refund and honestly looking into another provider. This is beyond ridiculous at this point. Its theft.
Highlighted
Agent

Sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing this issue, Jlrobertson. Can you send us a private message so we can assist you with that? 

Highlighted
Accomplice

I did all those things (put setting on LTE, took phone off wifi, called ##72786#, update PRL  on Wednesday evening and s9 galaxy was good until Friday morning. Then went back to 3g all day.  Friday evening I repeated the procedure again with no luck.   I tried it again in addition to updating my profile which put me on LTE for about one minute.    Now stuck on 3g again.   I just spent $600 on this new S9 galaxy in February of this year.  If my phone was old I would be switching to a new carrier.  I have been dealing with this since the update on 7/31/2020.  I received the August 24th update which was supposed to fix it but didn't.  I have been a Virgin/Boost customer for 10 years.  Can anyone help??   I also get this message:   "Unable to establish a wireless data...LTE:ESM-xEMM-11APN OTASM."

Highlighted
Promoter

is a network glich
Highlighted
Accomplice

Update to current failing by Boost Mobile/Sprint/T-Mobile to resolve issue with Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ of no LTE or VOLTE service as of August 2020.

Called Boost Support - No solution after a week of calling and playing phone tag with tech support, finally NOT RESOLVED.

Visited Boost store - Problem with phone unknown so solution unknown, finally NOT RESOLVED.

No solution and no one at Boost Mobile seems to care to resolve: NO LTE SERVICE ON SAMSUNG GALAXY S9 AND S9+ since August 2020.

Boost Tech Support claims the problem is with Samsung Update?

This has been researched and found to be NOT TRUE. 

Samsung sends updates to cellphones only after carrier (BOOST MOBILE/SPRINT) approves new update as working on their respective networks.

Samsung has no plans of a new update to Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+ to resolve any issue with no LTE or VOLTE service on Boost Mobile/Sprint/T-Mobile SIM Chip or Android Build.

As of September 19th, 2020, the only option :

It has been recommended by Boost Mobile and Boost Mobile associates that anyone having issues with NO LTE SERVICE OR VOLTE ON SAMSUNG GALAXY S9 AND S9+, call Boos Mobilet, request the UNLOCK CODE using your IMEI and move service to another cellular service provider AT&T, Verizon. T-Mobile.

If anyone has a new solution or update please forward it on.

S9+ SOFTWARE VERSION: G965USQS7ETH2

S9 SOFTWARE VERSION: G960USQS7ETH2

HARDWARE VERSION: REV1.1

ModelSM-G965U
Model nameGalaxy S9+
Country
Select countryComcast (CCT)Spint (cdma) (SPR)USA (USC)USA (T-Mobile) (TMB)USA (Verizon) (VZW)Unknown (BST)Unknown (XAS)Virgin Mobile USA (VMU)Xfinity Mobile (CHA) 
VersionAndroid 10
Changelist18803994
Build dateMon, 10 Aug 2020 06:15:42 +0000
Security Patch Level2020-08-01
Product codeSPR
PDAG965USQS7ETH2
CSCG965UOYN7ETH2

ModelSM-G960U
Model nameGalaxy S9
Country
Select countryComcast (CCT)Spint (cdma) (SPR)USA (TMK)USA (USC)USA (T-Mobile) (TMB)USA (Verizon) (VZW)Unknown (BST)Unknown (XAS)Virgin Mobile USA (VMU)Xfinity Mobile (CHA) 
VersionAndroid 10
Changelist18803994
Build dateMon, 10 Aug 2020 06:17:52 +0000
Security Patch Level2020-08-01
Product codeSPR
PDAG960USQS7ETH2
CSCG960UOYN7ETH2
Highlighted
Accomplice

Sprint was purchased by T-Mobile in April 1st. 2020. Boost is a mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) that sells service utilizing Sprint and not one of the original big four major cellular carriers. Sprint has been dissolved and all towers have been acquired by T-Mobile.  Sprint operated on CDMA,T-Mobile operates on GSM, T-Mobile is in the process of switching Sprint towers over to 4G, 5G, 6G essentially phasing out CDMA by 2023. The problem with Boost/Sprint is T-Mobile does not allow Sprint SIM Cards to utilize T-Mobile towers. Boost will sell services for T-Mobile but at a much higher price than T-Mobile. Only a matter of time before Boost is out of business.