Pre-owned Samsung Galaxy S8 has a Pin and I JUST bought it

Highlighted
Groupie

Pre-owned Samsung Galaxy S8 has a Pin and I JUST bought it

The second I turned on my galaxy s8 that had just arrived off the boost mobile website it had a Pin on it and no matter what I do it doesn't go away I tried factory resetting it several times I am extremely stressed out because this is not the first time this has happened because I know it's been happening to other people and boost mobile is doing absolutely nothing to fix it. SO dissapointing! I just want the phone I purchased. Can someone help?
2 REPLIES
Agent

Re: Pre-owned Samsung Galaxy S8 has a Pin and I JUST bought it

That’s definitely not okay. We truly apologize for this inconvenience, JessicaT844. Let’s check this thing out. How did you try to perform the factory reset on the device? Is the phone requesting a Gmail account to unlock the screen? 

Accomplice

Re: Pre-owned Samsung Galaxy S8 has a Pin and I JUST bought it

Mine came with a pin and a message saying it was restricted and on lease. every time I tried a factory reset I would get booted to the screen that says it is restricted and on lease then it would lock. After about 5 total hours I was finally able to complete and remove the lock pin, but still receive the pop up message saying the device is restricted and on lease. I will share what I did and hopefully it will help you out.

When you preform the factory reset you want to try and skip almost everything. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT connect to wifi, the it will read the phone's serial number and revert to having a pin. So skip that, Don't enter your gmail account either, for some reason this seems to make it revert back as well, idk why. maybe it still tries to connect online and it bugs out, idk, but don't do it, skip that step. Next you can enter your name if you want, I chose to. Then you are going to want to skip anything up to the Screen Lock Settings. This you do not want to select no lock, because this seems to re-enable the previous pin. You want to select either option, pattern, pin, or password. I selected pin because it was just easier. Once you chose your pin, go ahead and go through the next couple steps, after a few more steps, the device will install and update, then reboot. This time, the screen lock pin will be your own, and you should be able to have access to the rest of the device. 

I hope your phone didn't come restricted and on lease like mine, if it did by chance, you can still use it, my phone works, I have service, can get online, do whatever I want, but I keep getting this message saying it is on lease and restricted, which pops up randomly and will close anything I am doing, like phone calls. But I at least have a some what completely working phone. I am in the middle of trying to remove this lease, boost is supposedly in the process of that, but all they really need to do is tell me the code to enter in order to clear it on my end which would save so much time but they are dragging it out, probably in order to get me past my warranty time so they don't have to do anything about it.