New J7 Refine Problems Receiving Texts / Calls

Highlighted
Accomplice

New J7 Refine Problems Receiving Texts / Calls

So Saturday 5/4/2019, I needed to purchase a new phone.  My old RELIABLE J7 (2015) of 2 years screen cracked and did not function anymore.  I purchased a Samsung J7 Refine because of the great track record of old J7.   Everything seemed ok until...

From my house in NJ (07630), I could not Send/Receive Texts, I got roaming warnings (never got this in the past with old J7).  Then I could not receive or send calls.  My daughter who has a iPhone 6(also on Boost) has no problems from same location sending/receiving calls or texts.

I called Boost Support(Monday May 6th) and the technician was great.  He had me do a reset of phone with the dial ## , played around with changing network to CDMA, CDMA LTE, or automatic, switching off WiFi, SIM Card in/out.  Nothing seemed to work after 30 minutes.  He said there was a tower in my town(07630) that was down, that just came back up.  He said give it 24 hours and should be back up.  The tech said I should go back to the store to replace phone.

Well it has been over 24 hours and no luck.  Still same problem, yet my daughter's phone is fine.

Another thing that is strange, when I am at work in Nanuet, NY, I can call out and receive/send calls text EXCEPT my fiance's cell phone.

Two questions:

(1) Should I go back to store?

(2) Is there a way I can check if a cell tower is down?  But since it has been "down" my daughter's Iphone6 (also on Boost) no problems?

PLEASE HELP 🙂

13 REPLIES 13
Agent

Re: New J7 Refine Problems Receiving Texts / Calls

Hi there robspinelli. I am sorry about the issue with your phone. Certainly it appears the issue is the device as your daughter's and previous phone did not present the same issue. There is a return policy and if you feel this phone has a problem you can always go back to the store. Or you can try to rest the device to default but this may or may not fix the device issue. Please let us know if you are willing for the latter option. 

Accomplice

I am willing to try the other option.  Maybe you can explain what it is, so I can see if it already has been tried by another Boost Text.  Would be open to try IF I did not do.  Thanks

Agent

This will delete your personal information. Follow the steps below to reset your phone:

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the device logo screen displays, release only the Power key
  4. When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
  5. Press the Volume down key several times key to highlight 'wipe data / factory reset.'
  6. Press Power button to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key until 'Yes -- delete all user data' is highlighted.
  8. Press Power button to select and start the master reset.
  9. When the master reset is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
  10. Press the Power key to restart the device

Hope this works for you.

Accomplice

I am giving this a try.

I will let you know.

Agent

Perfect. Let us know the outcome.

Accomplice

Well same but I am not in Emerson, NJ (07630) where I have the problems where I can not make/receive any call.s  Will go at lunch time.

Question:

Can you check for me to see if a Cell Tower is down in Emerson, NJ?  The tech on Monday(5/6) in the morning said they just brought it back up.

Thanks!

Agent

We definitely want to look into this for you. Please confirm the ZIP code where this occurs.

Accomplice

The Zipcode where I can not make/receive calls is 07630 (Emerson,  NJ).  I tested this last night.  As I said in a previous message my daughter on Boost with iphone 6 no problems.

Thanks

Agent

Thanks for the information. We have reviewed the report for your area and we can see that, unfortunately, there is a network outage in your area affecting most of the places where you may typically use your phone. Our network teams have already identified the issue and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible. We truly apologize for the inconveniences this might cause you.