Boost Mobile Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Boost app or BoostMobile.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit https://www.boostmobile.com/support/contact-us.html
Boost Mobile Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Boost app or BoostMobile.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit https://www.boostmobile.com/support/contact-us.html

Galaxy S5 Sim card lock

Highlighted
Accomplice

Galaxy S5 Sim card lock

I needed a phone that would work overseas and allow me to use SIM cards from other networks so, based on recommendations from Boost, I purchased the expensive Galaxy S5 at my Boost store.  I've used the pone with Boost for 3½ years and finally need to test using it on another network.

After setup and installing the new SIM card, my phone is giving me the message "Boost Mobile | Invalid SIM Card".

Boost support told me to call Samsung tech support, and the manufacturer said that there was custom Boost software on the phone that was locking out SIM cards from other networks. So it looks like my phone is telling me the same thing: that it is locked to only use Boost SIM cards.  The Boost website has an "unlocking policy" page that says essentially the same thing:  that in addition to the MSL lock there is also a SIM lock.

So the device, the manufacturer, and the Boost website all agree, but whenever I call Boost support, they say there is no such thing as a SIM lock on my phone, and all they will do is give me the MSL code.

What can I do to get my phone unlocked?

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted

Re: Galaxy S5 Sim card lock

We apologize for the inconvenience, @masked Unfortunately, we are unable to unlock the phones internationally.

Highlighted
Accomplice

Okay, but when I initially bought it, I was told that I could get it SIM unlocked after a year of service.  The manufacturer and the Boost policy say this is possible, so how do I get that done?

One of the 4 providers I tried was T-Mobile in the US, and they set me up with a number in their system and a valid SIM card that works in another phone.  I would settle for getting it unlocked to work in the U.S.

How do I do that?

Also:  What is the difference between removing the SIM lock regionally vs. internationally?  My understanding is that your software instructs the phone to reject any card that does not begin with a Sprint ID.  Surely removing that restriction would allow it to work with any other card, regardless of the geographical location of the company that issued the card.

Highlighted
Agent

Hi masked! There are two ways to unlock your phone Master Subsidy Lock (MSL) Code Unlock and Domestic SIM Unlock (DSU) Unlock. Which one of them we use, will depend on the phone's brand and model. In your case, the MSL code is provided for unlocking purposes. You need to get in contact with your new provider so they can proceed to help you to activate the phone.

Highlighted
Accomplice

I still have an active account with Boost, so you guys are my current (and only) provider ...which is why I am contacting you.

The manufacturer indicated that this lock was specific to the software that Boost pre-installed on my phone and that Boost was, therefore, the only provider which could unlock it.

The Boost website indicates the same thing on the "unlocking-policy" page.  It specifically explains that I am eligible and that Boost will perform a DSU unlock for me, just as I was originally promised when I bought the Boost version of this phone.

Is the Boost website providing false information to it's customers about their unlock policy, or will someone at Boost unlock my phone?

Highlighted
Agent

You mentioned that you are trying to use the phone with a different carrier. Galaxy S5 does not qualify for DSU.

Highlighted
Accomplice

So right now, Boost is my only carrier, a Boost representative promised that Boost would unlock my phone, and the Boost website says I am eligible for a DSU unlock.

What can I do to get Boost to honor their agreement and remove this restriction from my phone?

Highlighted
Agent

The phone you are trying to unlock is the Samsung  Galaxy S5?

Highlighted
Accomplice

Yes.

Highlighted

Hey there, masked! Sorry for the late reply!

To further help you, please send us a private message including your mobile number and PIN code.

Looking forward to your reply!

RB-1991 (Robert)