Can I activate the Galaxy Note 10 on Boost Mobile

Accomplice

Re: Can I activate the Galaxy Note 10 on Boost Mobile

I have a Boost Best Buy unlimited gigs $25 plan with Boost. My 25 y.o. son just bought a Note 10+ which came today. Boosts website compatibility search says that his phone is compatible, and that he needs sim card SIMOLW516TQ.  So, I spent 2 hours on the phone tonight (8/27/19) with Boost trying to activate my sons new Note. The first tech rep I spoke with told us that my son has an open account on his old phone with Sprint, so he needs to go to Sprint and cancel that account before they can migrate his phone number to Boost. She never asked the model phone he wanted to activate, but the website said his Note 10 is compatible. So he went to Sprint, cancelled his account and turned in his old phone. 90 minutes later we got back with Boost to activate his Note, this time a different tech rep. This rep took us all the way through the process of activation, checking his Sprint account, then asked what model phone he wanted to migrate (using his Sprint number). We told her the Note 10+. She then told us that the Note 10 is NOT compatible with Boost yet (Boost website says it is), and that she couldn't migrate the number. Unfortunately, the first rep told him to cancel his old plan and he turned in his S8+ phone per their instructions. Now he doesn't have any phone!!!! Boost's site says it's compatible, both their rep and the manager who I spoke with claimed it isn't compatible, and my son is screwed. They need to get their **bleep** together. My son is now in a bad spot with no phone, and all they could do was apologize for the mix-up!

I'm very curious, reading on here, whether the Note 10 is able to be activated or not??????

Highlighted
Accomplice

BTW, my sons Note 10+ was bought right from Samsung, and is unlocked from the factory. Shouldn't be a problem with activating it!

Accomplice

It is compatible. You can also go online and easily activate it. Have you tried that? I activativated mine online and it was super easy to do it.
Agent

Hi there! Thanks for reaching out. We're sorry for the inconvenience. I'd like to investigate this further. Please send me a Private Message with the device IMEI. 

Accomplice

@ThatsWhatHapnz 

First, I would like to say that I am on that same Unlimited Gigs $25/month plan.  Second, I successfully activated my Note 10+ on Boost Mobile without any problems on 8/22/2019.  I don't know how Boost could give such advice such as telling you to cancel the Sprint account first before they can migrate the number over to Boost.  By cancelling the Sprint account without starting any kind of porting process also cancelled the phone number - it may not be too late, but that phone number could now be lost to you.  If I were you I would immediately contact Sprint and try to get your son's phone number back before it's too late.  I am sorry, but you were given wrong advice through and through. 

Accomplice

@ItNotLetMeLogIn Wow! You came up tremendously! You got some stupid good deals on your phone plans! I was using a factory unlocked Note 8+ on my Boost account for almost 2 years and my Unlimited Gigs plan was $50 a month! Of course I wasn't offered a great deal because I was already a Boost Mobile subscriber when I activated the phone on my account. I was with Boost for about 10 years! If anyone deserved a good deal on a Boost phone plan, it was me! Fortunately, my job pays my phone bill up to $50 though, so it's been a while since I've had to pay a phone bill. The main benefit of me leaving Boost for Sprint is to be able to use VoLTE.

Anyhow, I certainly hope that a T-Mobile merger with Sprint doesn't affect Sprint's price plans and service. People complain about Sprint at times, but T-Mobile is absolutely the worse!
Accomplice

@ThatsWhatHapnz
I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience that your son had, but the factory unlocked Note 10+ can ABSOLUTELY be activated on Boost! I assume that the regular factory unlocked Note 10 (the smaller one) can be activated on Boost as well. There are several individuals including myself who have mentioned having success with activating the phone on this thread. I'll provide you with some info as to where things may have gone wrong for your son and what he could do to resolve his problem.

First of all, I don't quite understand why he canceled the Sprint account and returned a Galaxy S8+ to Sprint, but migrating his phone number from Sprint to Boost would require the Sprint account to remain open. You can't migrate a number from an account that's been closed. When the account was closed, the number was killed, so it no longer exists. Your son should contact Sprint and see if there's some sort of way that they could revive his phone number.

As for activating the Note 10/10+, it MUST be the factory unlocked version in order for it to be activated on Boost and CANNOT be the Sprint version. You mentioned that your son has the unlocked version, so if he goes to activate it with the appropriate Sprint/Boost Mobile SIM card, he shouldn't have a problem with activating it online or through a rep on the phone.

Boost Mobile does get goofy at times when it comes to activating phones that are not specifically designed for its network however as you can see. In some cases, it appears that unlocked phones as well as Sprint phones must be activated on Sprint first before they can be registered into Boost Mobile's system. This was certainly the case for me. I attempted in every way possible to activate my factory unlocked Note 10+ on Boost upon receiving it in the mail on 08/21/19 and was unsuccessful!

I was considering going to Cricket because of this, but the next day, I went to a Best Buy and manged to get the phone activated on a $25 Unlimited Kickstart plan through Sprint with a new phone number! That night, I swapped another phone on my newly activated Sprint account so that my factory Unlocked Note 10+ could be freed from the account, and out of curiosity, I went to see if I could activate it on my Boost Mobile account, and to my surprise, I was!

The phone that I was originally told was not eligible for Boost was now working on my Boost account! I ultimately put my factory unlocked Note 10+ back on my newly activated Sprint account and had my phone number migrated from my Boost Mobile account to my Sprint account not longer after. I decided to go with Sprint and leave Boost because it has a cheaper plan than Boost and allows the phone to utilize VoLTE which gives you the ability to talk and use data at the same time. This feature isn't available with Boost.

Perhaps your son would've been able to successfully get his factory unlocked Note 10+ activated on his Boost account if he first activated it on his Sprint account prior to closing out the account. My suggestion would be to swap the phone on a friend or fam member's Sprint account, then take it back off. From there, see if your son is able to activate it on a Boost account with a new number, and again, if he values the phone number than he wants to have migrated over to Boost from Sprint, he might wanna contact Sprint ASAP and see if there's some sort of way for him to have the number revived! If so, he can have it migrated to the new Boost account with the new number and the factory unlocked Note 10+ on it afterwards. 
Accomplice

@riosoul83 

Hey, how you've been? What happened to your previous post to ThatsWhatHapnz?  Your posting was quite descriptive and well explained.  I tried replying to it, but it was removed.  

You would think businesses would award loyal customers with sweet deals. Anyway, I find all my great deals by chance.  Every now and then I check all the wireless carriers' websites for any specials, promotions, and the latest deals. That's how I was able to get all these great plans.  I was on the right website at the right time, as the saying goes. 

Yeah, I agree. I hope the T-Mobile merger doesn't affect Sprint's price plans and service either.  I don't care much for T-Mobile.  When I had T-Mobile, T-Mobile wasn't letting calls connect to certain phone numbers that were in the country.  https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/04/t-mobile-deceived-customers-with-false-ring-t...   

This is what we have to look forward to. https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-fails-to-explain-its-4-hour-outage.  I am so totally against the Sprint T-Mobile merger like you wouldn't believe. 

Accomplice

I've been very well, thanks. It appears that some moderator of this thread didn't like what I had to say and deleted my post.! He probably didn't like me mentiong that I left Boost for Sprint and considered going to Cricket which is ridiculous! Especially when it's Boost's fault that I left them and went to Sprint to begin with! They refused to activate my frickin phone! I guess this is how they like to treat customers who were with Boost for 10 years. They delete their posts and refuse to activate their factory unlocked phones for them! Fortunately, I saved my post and reposted it on this thread. It would be nice if they would leave it alone as it could offer far more help to ThatsWhatHapnz than they could!

Anyhow, I hear you. Sadly, companies could care less about loyal customers. You have to seek out good deals on your own. I'm against the merger also. Everything about T-Mobile sucks!
Accomplice

I'm assuming your simple phone activation on Boost was you activating your Note on a new line with no others added on your account?

On Boosts site , and app, it repeatedly tells me that I can add a line to my current account for $25. But nowhere does it explain exactly how to do that. There should be a "add a line" button right there where they're offering me the additional line, or at least a brief explanation of how to accomplish it. I'm not as adept with cell phones as many of the people on here, but I'm far from an idiot. Prior to Boost (and my unlocked S9 I bought and activated on Boost), I was with Sprint for many, many years with various CDMA phones, which doesn't give you any options for swapping providers because they are locked. Now, to add my son to my account and activate his phone, I followed the advice of a Boost store rep here in St. Paul Mn. I called Boost and got bad advice about my son first cancelling his account. The whole process was a bunch of misinformation by various reps from Boost at various levels which I described in detail on my original post and lack of User-Friendly on their website.

Back on point. To simply activate a phone on Boost is straight-forward. Which is what I did a year ago with my S9. Adding a line to your current account is not at all straight-forward on Boost. I searched Boost's site for how-to, I searched Google for info. I found nothing that explained how to add a line to my account for $25, then activate that phone. I didn't want to change my plan with Boost because I wanted to keep the Unlimited Gigs plan I have, but instead, just add a line to it as they kept offering me.  I have now figure out by stumbling around on Boosts site, that what I really needed to do was not simply add a line to my account, which is what they were offering me, but rather, go to "Change My Plan", then start a "Family Plan". Then with a Family Plan I would be able to add a line to my account.

I'm not sure who the 10 y.o. is that setup they're website and it's functionality, but it isn't user friendly, They apparently don't understand that you need to present your website with info and options based on the ability of the lesser capable people. And, simply calling they're customer service for help is a nightmare. Language barriers, getting disconnected and having to start all over, voice prompts that don't offer you the choice you need to accomplish what you need to do. They need to seriously take a look at they're site and rework it to make it more user friendly!!!

The process of "adding a Line" to my account isn't explained anywhere on Boost's site that I could find. It took a couple days of pushing buttons and guess-work to figure out about the change to "Family Plan" necessity. Unfortunately, after following all this, my son doesn't have a phone because he cancelled his plan by Boost's rep's advice. But they said were sorry for that and they apologized. So everything is all better I guess (sarcasm).