why am I getting a text saying that Messenger services have been enabled

Community Manager

Re: why am I getting a text saying that Messenger services have been enabled

You shouldn't continue to receive that text constantly, but there have been reports of this happening on other devices. Does it happen every time you turn on your phone or throughout the day?

Community Manager

Captain of the Pirate Ship the Vicious Cream Puff

If my post (or someone else's) was especially amusing, helpful, or informative, show a little love by clicking the 'thumbs' up' icon to give it a kudos or marking it the Accepted Solution.

Accomplice

@SeaWolf
It happens all day when I'm using my phone....not texting anyone
Community Manager

Is the message that features are ready to be enabled or that they have been enabled?

I'm on a call today with IT for messaging issues if this type and I'll make them aware.

You can't block 9197, the shortcode, so that won't work, I'm afraid.

Community Manager

If my post (or someone else's) was especially amusing, helpful, or informative, show a little love by clicking the 'thumbs' up' icon to give it a kudos or marking it the Accepted Solution.

Accomplice

They HAVE been enabled. 9197 has been "blocked" but I can check the texts from the Archive folder.
I really hope IT can give us some solutions!!
Thank you so much @SeaWolf!!
Community Manager

I need to set a reasonable expectation, we know that some devices are having this issue and there's a high priority ticket open on the Google side for it, but we don't have an ETA for a fix yet. I'll be adding your phone to the list of device types where it happens. I have an S8 and I get this message too, but only when I restart the phone. Annoying either way, though.

Community Manager

Accomplice

I really appreciate all the help!! Yes, it IS annoying...irritating...etc!!
My phone LG L450 K3....
Thank you again @SeaWolf!!!
Accomplice

why do my messages result in a text from Messenger? I'm not using that at all. Have I consented somewhere to let messenger read my texts? I'm not that important. I noticed it came after an update and that's why I'm asking. obviously some other app than the one I'm using is aware of my texting, like I said I'm not all that but it's just my old idea of privacy ,and everything else, that's concerned. 

Community Manager

youknowyouknow wrote:

why do my messages result in a text from Messenger? I'm not using that at all. Have I consented somewhere to let messenger read my texts? I'm not that important. I noticed it came after an update and that's why I'm asking. obviously some other app than the one I'm using is aware of my texting, like I said I'm not all that but it's just my old idea of privacy ,and everything else, that's concerned. 

If you're sending pictures, videos, emojis or .gifs, you are sending MMS (multimedia messages) rather than SMS (texts). "Messenger" or "Messages" is the name of that app and enhanced messaging or rich communications (RCS) is just a new improved means of sending those messages.  Though you have consented to allow the app to send/receive on your behalf, you have not given any entity or body (like Boost or the government, for instance) the right to monitor the content of your messages.

You can opt our of using enhanced features but "Messages" is the pre-installed messaging app, so if you disable it, you'll have to download a 3rd party app to use for messaging like SMS Pro.  I would not necessarily recommend using a 3rd party app for several reasons, the primary ones being: if something goes wrong, we can't really help you fix it because it's not our app; you're even less likely to know what controls/monitoring such an app get over your system versus the stock LG application.

Do I understand correctly that you, too, have been repeatedly receiving the notification "messaging features have been enabled" from short code 9197?

Community Manager

Accomplice

why am I getting a text saying that Messenger services have been enabled
Accomplice

Messenger's enhanced features have been enabled