What is "threshold for data prioritization"

Go to solution
Highlighted
Groupie

What is "threshold for data prioritization"

What is "threshold for data prioritization" and how exactly does it affect me when I go over? Is it a temporary thing or for the rest of the month..... why am I paying extra for the unlimited if its not truly unlimited....
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Guru

Re: What is "threshold for data prioritization"

Hi,

The threshold is once you use 23GB combined across all days, your speeds can/may be slowed, for the remaining days, until your next cycle begins.

This is the full text of the fine print.

"Quality of Service (QoS): To help protect against the possibility that unlimited data plan customers that use high volumes of data may occupy an unreasonable share of network resources, Sprint employs network prioritization or QoS on the Sprint network. Customers who choose unlimited data handset plans launched on or after October 16, 2015, or customers who choose to upgrade their handsets or activate new lines of service on or after October 16 and are on unlimited data plans, that use more than 23GB (to be adjusted periodically) of data during a single billing cycle will be de-prioritized for the remainder of that billing cycle as compared to other customers at times and places where the availability of network resources is constrained. Affected unlimited data customers will continue to be able to enjoy unlimited amounts of data without the worry of overage charges or hard, full time bandwidth reductions. Customers subject to prioritization may experience reduced throughput and increased latency compared to other customers on the constrained site and as compared to their normal experience on the Sprint network. Unlimited customers may also notice temporary changes in the performance of data intensive applications such as streaming video or online gaming when subject to prioritization. These temporary reductions in performance will only occur at times and places where capacity is constrained. Performance will return to normal as soon as the resource constraints have been relieved or the customer has relocated to a non-constrained location. Unlimited data customers potentially subject to lower QoS will be notified when their individual data usage reaches approximately 75% of 23 GB so that they may modify their usage to avoid network management practices that may result in slower data speeds. We will also notify customers when they have reached the 23 GB threshold and are now subject to de-prioritization."

And my take on it is this.

This will really depend on many factors. Including, a) How many Sprint Towers are around you b)How many other combined Sprint Network Users are around you(this includes, but is not limted to subscribers of Sprint, VirginMobile, RingPlus, Boost Mobile) c)how much data the other users are using d)your signal strength
~ All I can do is speak from my experience in the greater Phoenix Metro area where there are MANY sprint towers and an AVERAGE amount of Sprint users~ My slower speeds between 4:30 and 6 PM are not full 4G LTE speeds(4-20 Mbps) , but they are about half my normal 4G LTE speeds (2-8Mpbs), which is still faster than 3G.

Really the 50 plan from Boost is the best value out there. It is really unlimited 4G LTE(even if it is not full 4g, sometimes, after you go over 23GB, it is still faster than 3G).

If more question do reply.

Yours,
-J
Check my badges!
If I have answered your question, please be sure to click the Accepted Solution_B.GIF button at the bottom of my Reply, so others can quickly find the answer they are looking for!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Guru

Hi,

The threshold is once you use 23GB combined across all days, your speeds can/may be slowed, for the remaining days, until your next cycle begins.

This is the full text of the fine print.

"Quality of Service (QoS): To help protect against the possibility that unlimited data plan customers that use high volumes of data may occupy an unreasonable share of network resources, Sprint employs network prioritization or QoS on the Sprint network. Customers who choose unlimited data handset plans launched on or after October 16, 2015, or customers who choose to upgrade their handsets or activate new lines of service on or after October 16 and are on unlimited data plans, that use more than 23GB (to be adjusted periodically) of data during a single billing cycle will be de-prioritized for the remainder of that billing cycle as compared to other customers at times and places where the availability of network resources is constrained. Affected unlimited data customers will continue to be able to enjoy unlimited amounts of data without the worry of overage charges or hard, full time bandwidth reductions. Customers subject to prioritization may experience reduced throughput and increased latency compared to other customers on the constrained site and as compared to their normal experience on the Sprint network. Unlimited customers may also notice temporary changes in the performance of data intensive applications such as streaming video or online gaming when subject to prioritization. These temporary reductions in performance will only occur at times and places where capacity is constrained. Performance will return to normal as soon as the resource constraints have been relieved or the customer has relocated to a non-constrained location. Unlimited data customers potentially subject to lower QoS will be notified when their individual data usage reaches approximately 75% of 23 GB so that they may modify their usage to avoid network management practices that may result in slower data speeds. We will also notify customers when they have reached the 23 GB threshold and are now subject to de-prioritization."

And my take on it is this.

This will really depend on many factors. Including, a) How many Sprint Towers are around you b)How many other combined Sprint Network Users are around you(this includes, but is not limted to subscribers of Sprint, VirginMobile, RingPlus, Boost Mobile) c)how much data the other users are using d)your signal strength
~ All I can do is speak from my experience in the greater Phoenix Metro area where there are MANY sprint towers and an AVERAGE amount of Sprint users~ My slower speeds between 4:30 and 6 PM are not full 4G LTE speeds(4-20 Mbps) , but they are about half my normal 4G LTE speeds (2-8Mpbs), which is still faster than 3G.

Really the 50 plan from Boost is the best value out there. It is really unlimited 4G LTE(even if it is not full 4g, sometimes, after you go over 23GB, it is still faster than 3G).

If more question do reply.

Yours,
-J
Check my badges!
If I have answered your question, please be sure to click the Accepted Solution_B.GIF button at the bottom of my Reply, so others can quickly find the answer they are looking for!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accomplice

Even though you are over the 23GB Quality of Service threshold. Your data services will reduce only if the towers you are connected with is congested but if it is not, you can use the regular 4G LTE Speed.

Highlighted
Accomplice

I have a 4g LTE LG boost mobile phone I pay 53.00 a month for unlimited talk text and high speed data and I don't I have really slow and data connection problems before I switched phone company I was with Verizon wireless for 6 years and my data connection was really good who can I talk to about this problem cause if boost dont fix it there are going to lose a great customers I can't get nobody to help me