Trying to activate a Sprint BYOD device - IMEI issues or something.

Trying to activate a Sprint BYOD device - IMEI issues or something.

Greetings - I want to activate a Samsung Galaxy S5 sport as an additional line on my plan and the compatiblity is reportedly okay for the IMEI (S5 sport is still all S5 network hardware just a different shell essentially) but when we try to activate the representaive says they are unable to activate.  Sprint says IMEI is okay for me to activate.  Yes I bought this device used from another person.  How can I investigate options to correct this.  I am willing to activate it with sprint momentarily (would probably have to pay anactivation fee) if that may provide a resolve by proving the ESN is clear then cancel service (no contract) with Sprint and hopefully force the IMEI to update in the Boost database.

Anyone have suggestions?  Is there a way to open a ticket at Boost to investigate this?

Thanks in advance fro your time!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Trying to activate a Sprint BYOD device - IMEI issues or something.

Disregard...  I was apparently fed a line of BS on the phone with Sprint that the device coudl be activated.  went into a sprint store and they said it was still tied to the previous owner, not lost / stolen but possibly ocntract not fulfilled.  Glad I didn't pay too much for it, and before I did I called sprint as was told the ESN was in the clear...

Community Manager

Re: Trying to activate a Sprint BYOD device - IMEI issues or something.

I'm sorry that happened to you @ven0msho.  Unfortunately, Sprint is typically limited in what they can tell you.  Usually it's limited to whether or not ESN has been reported lost or stolen, or if it's active on another account at this moment.  An ESN being "available" for activation, doesn't necessarily mean you can activate it on a prepaid account, unfortunately, or on another carrier.

I know that's not what you want to hear when you've already spent the money.  If you purchased through a reputable 3rd party like Swappa or Amazon, they will have a process where you can hold the seller accountable.

[Edited for accuracy]

Community Manager

Captain of the Pirate Ship the Vicious Cream Puff

If my post (or someone else's) was especially amusing, helpful, or informative, show a little love by clicking the 'thumbs' up' icon to give it a kudos or marking it the Accepted Solution.