Change multiple/two individual plans into family plan, add new third phone, but swap the number

Highlighted
Groupie

Change multiple/two individual plans into family plan, add new third phone, but swap the number

Please bear with me, but I think this can answer a common question for many and give specific steps for acheiving.  I currently have two individual boost accounts with older growing data plans that I want to combine into a family plan ($50 unlimited for the primary, $30 unlimited for everyone else).  Lets say Primary is iphone 6s with phone number 555-555-0001, secondary is 6s 555-555-0002.  I then want to buy a new phone iPhone 7, but I want the new phone to be swapped to get the primary phone number of 0001.  Then the old primary's 6s iphone to get re-activiated with a new number, lets say 555-555-0003.  I think this can be done and I've culled the following together but not sure it is correct:

• First, is this possible????  This is my main questions, I don't want to buy a new iphone 7, swap the 0001 number to it, and then find I can't activate the older iphone 6s to a new account.  I would then have a $600 iphone 6s as a paper weight.  
    • If this is possible I believe these are the steps:
  • I log into 0001 account that I want to become the the Primary account for new Family Plan.  This 0001 account is still using the 6s.  I change the plan to the $50 unlimited Family Plan.
  • After I do this I believe??? a "Add a Member" button will become available?
    • I will click Add a member and follow whatever prompts  it gives which will probably have me enter thhe Existing number of the person I want to join (the 6s 0002 number).
    • I will then go to the secondary 0002 account and there will be something to accept to join the family plan?  
      • After accepting the Family Plan I'm done with 0002.  I've seen other post were people will then try to chnage that secondary account to a family plan and it will try to charge them $50 because they are not really joining the existiing family plan but they are starting a new family plan.  
      • This seccondary account still exists seperately but is tied to and gets billed to the Primary 0001 account.
  • My new iPhone 7 is shipped to me and I select the option for "Activate Your Phone" but select the option "I'm a current customer and want to swap phones"???  I follow the prompts and I beleive this process will activate the new iPhone 7 with the 0001 phone number???  There is no activation fee on this new phone.  
  • This would also remove the 0001 number from the old primary 6s phone and most likely drop it out of the Primary account.  I'm theen hoping it will free this 6s up to allow a 3rd users to activiate????
  • To activate the third account I would wait a few hours and select the same "Activite Your Phone" link but this time select "I'm a new Customer and want to activite".  I will then follow the prompts to activate this previously activated 6s phone to a new account (probably entering the IMEI number at some point).  This should not bbe an issue since it is a boost approved phone with no account tied to it???? or is there something else I would need ot do to "free" up this phone to get re-activated?  There is a $10 fee for this old phone re-actiiviation.
    • During the setting up of the old 6s to new 3rd account I'm guessing I can join it to the Primary's family account, or do I need to select an individuall account and once that is created I can go back to the Primary account and select "add a Member" and put in this new 3rd account number 0003????
      • If the later is true will the 0003 account get charged for the first month of the individual plan and the primary acccount get charged for the first month of the family plan?  I'm hoping there is a way to avoid a potential double charge for service????

I hope you can follow and confirm/tweak as it is hard to gauge from the FAQ.

Greg

2 REPLIES 2
Guru

Re: Change multiple/two individual plans into family plan, add new third phone, but swap the number

Hi Greg!

Dang what question!  And what good research you have done!  

Everything is correct! Except at the end, you can't create a new account and join a family plan at the same time.

Can I add some pointers to help you understand a little better?  well I am going to anyhow 😛 so here goes.

I know you read the FAQ here about family plans;

https://www.boostmobile.com/support/faq/plans-services/family-plan/  but it does not list some things here,

What appears to be new is that; https://www.boostmobile.com/shop/plans/family-plans/

(click the + next to how to start your family plan) now says "TIP: All members must be on the same plan as the Primary line."

I now suggest changing all/ any lines to the $50 plan FIRST then adding/accepting them.

I suggest changing to new plans 3 days(or two days) before your due date.

" I change the (0001) plan to the $50 unlimited Family Plan.After I do this I believe??? a "Add a Member" button will become available?" YES 

"I will then go to the secondary 0002 account and there will be something to accept to join the family plan?  "  YES

Read the part in hte FAQ about;

Am I going to get a credit for payments I already made into my Single Line Monthly Plan when I switch to a Family Plan? And how does it work?

"An existing Boost Single Line customer who is joining a Family Plan as a Secondary line (not assuming the payment responsibility) AND has already paid for the current month, you will receive a prorated credit of unused service based on the date you paid the last MRC / 30, times multiplied by the number of days left until the Primary line’s next monthly payment date. This will be applied to Primary line’s account balance. We will align your monthly payment date to match the monthly payment date of the Primary line at this time."

Your steps to swap existing devices are correct.  I would power off the iphone 6s while activating the new iphone7. 

"To activate the third account I would wait a few hours and select the same "Activite Your Phone" link but this time select "I'm a new Customer and want to activite".  I will then follow the prompts to activate this previously activated 6s phone to a new account (probably entering the IMEI number at some point).  This should not bbe an issue since it is a boost approved phone with no account tied to it???? or is there something else I would need ot do to "free" up this phone to get re-activated?  There is a $10 fee for this old phone re-actiiviation."

All correct.   I would reboot the iphone 6s x2 before attempting to activate on another/new number.  You should have no issues with self service activation, since this devices IMEI and ESN #s are alreay in Boosts system.  If you enter the ESN, Boost should alreay know the IMEI and just ask you to confirm the one they have linked to the ESN.  Yes there is a ten dollar fee for re-activating a previoulsy activated device.

"During the setting up of the old 6s to new 3rd account I'm guessing I can join it to the Primary's family account, or do I need to select an individuall account and once that is created I can go back to the Primary account and select "add a Member" and put in this new 3rd account number 0003????
If the later is true will the 0003 account get charged for the first month of the individual plan and the primary acccount get charged for the first month of the family plan? I'm hoping there is a way to avoid a potential double charge for service????"

No you can not create a new acoount and join a family at the same time.  You must create the new account as a single line plan, knowing your going to addd them to a family plan, choose the same plan the Primary Family plan is on.  Yes you will get charged the $50 for service, the $10 for re-activation, plus taxes.  Then yes, the Primary plan must have an extra $30 in available funds to add another line/number to the Family.  Then invite the 3rd member and have them accept.

So, yes, you are paying extra to start it up(even when adding 0002).  Then next month you should owe less, as the FAQ says

"Can the money I’ve already paid toward my Single Line Plan be applied to my new Family Plan?

Yes, if you are current in your payments, the unused service will be credited toward your Family Plan when it is linked."

Now, I did want to say that just because the FAQ says this, I have heard of people who have had 'the system' send their pro rated credit and mis-applied it to the 0002 or 0003 when the $ is susposed to get transfered to 0001.  If this happens, you wil need customer support help to either get a refund (usually by check in 11 weeks) or attempt to get the $ xfered from the 0002/3 to the 0001 (better luck via PM to an Agent here than calling on the tele)

Hope that helps. 🙂

If someone else who has made new lines and joind them to family plans , please tell us how that went for you!

If more question, do reply!

Yours,

-J

Re: Change multiple/two individual plans into family plan, add new third phone, but swap the number

That all sounds good. If your buying an unlocked iPhone 7 make sure you stop by the Apple Store where they will give you a SIM card at no cost. I'm still having problems getting my family plan started because I was a VIP customer and that has to be removed before you can start a family plan. If you've been a customer for a while they will probably waive the ten dollar activation fee. If they don't then you could use the referral program and get $25 on each line credit. Good luck with it!!! Boost and the iPhone 7 work very well for me!!!