Wi-Fi hotspot draining to quick

Wi-Fi hotspot draining to quick

I have the 4 lines for $120 with 30 hotspot per line...i called early this month about the fact that the hotspot drained out on 2 of the lines in 4 days now we're having the same problem and I'm trying to figure out what exactly is going on...we use it to watch tv and turn it off immediately after...i received a txt alert this morning about being at 85% and have not used it all day until this evening and just after 5 minutes of it being on, i received another txt alert saying i had gone over the data cap...what is going on...how is the hotspot draining that fast when it wasn't being used? and this has occurred twice in one month? I'm trying to understand but getting severely frustrated since things have been doing odd things since last November like not having cellular service for half of the month I'm paying for but Keep getting told that the towers are being upgraded to the new 5g/LTE...why are the customers suffering losses and being put thru months of frustration for something that is supposed to be a positive step?
2 REPLIES 2
Agent

Re: Wi-Fi hotspot draining to quick

Hello. The amount of data used depends entirely on the way that it is used. One of the most demanding tasks on data is video streaming. As an example, on an ordinary screen (not hd), it is easy to consume 1gb in just under an hour. The amount used then tends to grow exponentially depending on the quality of the video that you are streaming or downloading. An HD tv can easily consume 2gb of data or more in one 45 minute episode on Netflix, and that is not including any additional services that you may get from a smart tv to access other forms of media. Aside from the usage from a TV, you must also consider your settings on the hotspot, since users tend to forget to set up a password and leave the Wifi open. Smart devices will scan for open networks and often connect automatically, or inform the user of the open network in order to confirm the connection first, so there could also be other devices connecting to your hotspot at the same time.

At the moment we haven't received any reports from our engineers regarding the issues that you mentioned being related to the upgrade to 5g. 

You can also go into your settings to verify the amount of data used on hotspot.

Let us know if there is anything else that we can do for you.

Re: Wi-Fi hotspot draining to quick

I have a strong password on our hotspots...but you're explanation of the levels of streaming helped me understand things a LOT more clearly...i really do appreciate your time since they could not listen nor explain to me this very thing when i called...i was not looking for anything more than to better understand what exactly was going on...you are very helpful and i very much appreciate it...thank you