Why can't a user use a VPN or download torrents without being penalized

Accomplice

Why can't a user use a VPN or download torrents without being penalized

The title says it all. Why, in the day where privacy is a precious commodity and is used quite frequently as an excuse for companies being unable or unwilling to do certain things, can a user be penalized and have data from their hotspot allotment be taken away for doing stuff like using a VPN or downloading via torrents? It wasn't until this need for me to use a VPN to prevent sensitive data about myself from leaking out into the open that I became aware of this issue, in my humble opinion, with the way Boost Mobile handles their customers. To be quite frank, this is like an ISP charging their customers for having an Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware installed on their computers. It's ludicrous and quite frankly, I'm appalled that a company that I was so sure was the best fit for any person I know would force people to give up their privacy in such an underhanded way. I emplore you as a customer and as a human being to bring this to light to the higher ups to change the stance on VPNs and torrents so as to not breach the, in mine and several other people's opinion, unalienable right of privacy.