Why are Torrents counted under "Hotspot" data?

Highlighted

Why are Torrents counted under "Hotspot" data?

I was in the middle of downloading an emergency Linux distribution for my computer when i get a text warning me that i'd used my allotted hotspot data for the month. Checking my download, it had dropped from 1.1 mbps (already terrible) to literally nothing. I wasn't using hotspot at the time, so the only conclusion i can come to is that a torrent download counted towards my hotapot data. Not only do i now not have an operating system for my computer, but i'm out of data to download it.

Why was a regular download considered "Hotspot" data? What else count towards "Hotspot"? How is this NOT an obvious ploy to make us buy an extra data pack.
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Why are Torrents counted under "Hotspot" data?

The same thing just happened to me. Did you ever find a solution?

• If Mobile Hotspot is included in the customers plan, Hotspot draws from the monthly data bucket (Mobile Hotspot Allocation) of the plan. This includes usage associated with:
    • Allowing other users to connect to your device via Mobile Hotspot feature.
    • Connect a device (such as a laptop or tablet) to the Internet either via Wi-Fi, or a physical connection (such as a USB cable), or an app that enables mobile hotspot service without the purchase of a hotspot plan (i.e., “tethering”);
    • Distribute and share media files (such as books, music and games) with others (i.e., peer-to-peer (P2P) networking technology); and/or
    • Connect to a Virtual Private Network (VPN);
    • Data and Hotspot usage will display combined in my account for the customer and in iCare for agents.

Note Data and Hotspot usage will display separately in my account for the customer and in iCare for agents.

• Hotspot data allotment included in an add-on or bolt-on is separate from the phone plan data allotment and does not count towards the phone plan Throttling threshold.
  • Customers can view their Hotspot usage in My Account.
  • Hotspot data usage is deducted from the total 500MB / 1GB / 2GB balance in 25MB increments.
    • As the customer surfs using the Hotspot, the data they use in that session counts against the 25MB that was initially deducted.
    • When that 25MB has been used up, another 25MB is deducted from the total balance.
  • Note: Any unused portion of the 25MB increment is returned back to the total MB balance for the Hotspot as soon as the customer disconnects the Hotspot.
  • Data usage can take up to 10-15 minutes to be updated in My Account and i-Care.
  • In some markets due to differing network technologies, customers could see two 25MB increments deducted at the same time.

This is garbage. Downloading p2p or using a VPN is not Hotspot data. I use a VPN for work and now this is a hotspot? It's crap. Boost should call it what it is if they want to dock you for VPN traffic. "All data"...... This is just a ploy to get more money. I'm going to complain to the funeral consumer protection board.
Accomplice

They have no right to take away our hotspot data unless it is a violation that is committed while using the hotspot and not while using your data. I pay for unlimited data and when I lost all my hotspot data but had unlimited phone data still I was not able to use BitTorrent or cyberghost a very good VPN. My phone is prepaid and nothing associated with the account is real information so I'm not concerned with privacy. My problem is in pay for 12gb of hotspot and that is not what I get if i do not play by the rules. you all might like to know if you have an iPhone you get unlimited hotspot. If I didn't hate Apple so much I would almost buy an Iphone. In closing I would agree if I was using torrents while using hotspot and the data goes bye bye fast because that's the nature of p2p. I say Sprint saw people downloading torrents on their phones and copying them to their computers or whatever and watching as much as they want because they have unlimited data. This is Sprint's way of saying **bleep** you we know your game and this is how we play.

Accomplice

Might I also say the reason I need hotspot is to VPN to my place of employment. Yet I'm still raped of my hotspot data. Someday hotspot data will be unlimited. I get over 50bps which is faster than my cable. 4G and 5G are the future of internet In everyone's home, work and life.