Tethering/hotspot information

Go to solution
Highlighted
Groupie

Tethering/hotspot information

So I recently switched to boost for better network reliability, better prices, etc. Went with the $60 unlimited family plan since I'm quite a data hog. I've been using my hotspot function on my phone to tether my PS3 and laptop. Woke up to a text that states "BSTFreeMsg Alert - You've exceeded your mobile hotspot usage cap of 8192MB. Usage will be available when your new plan month begins."
Why isn't it unlimited if the plan states everything is unlimited? I can't even use it at a capped speed. I can't find anywhere that states it's a limited service or that it's a service at all for that matter. Where are the prices to add-on? Can you add-on? What's the data allotment? What's the prices? Something ungodly, I'm sure.
Had I known it was a limited service, I wouldn't have switched carriers. Slightly upset.
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Groupie

I have not recieved my hotspot either and it won't even let me access it
Highlighted
Groupie

Does usb tethering use hotspot data as well or unlimited data of the phone itself?
Highlighted
Agent

USB Tethering uses Hotspot Data as well. -EdwinRG

Highlighted
Accomplice

it uses hotspot data as well. a big disappointment 

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Scroll down for simple instructions but this first part contains trouble shooting. Sometimes u have to do it this way. Don't know if this solves your issue but did mine... first go to tethering in your settings and turn it on (not running connection settings on 2nd device to tether to). Once it's on for few seconds you should Have a pop up (explained later) go to the device u want to teether to. For example a roku. Then go to your connection settings on your device you are teether to as if u are connecting to Wi-Fi. ...Search networks. You'll see yours. Mine comes up strange but starts with a small acronym before a bunch of numbers. It will be the one locked with the highest bars. Probably the first to come up. Also if it doesn't show up simply back out of your connection settings to scan again or use your re-scan option which u should have one and that's what I recommend. On your phone it should have a pop up (this doesn't always happen for me tho. Maybe it only does it for the first time u tether to a New device- I've only used this feature for one device so far (phone to roku); so remember your password given in case it doesn't come up again) that tells you you're password. I never set one up for tethering other than to use it for first time and password is provided as stated already and never was asked to provide a password before by tech or support (it's not your 4 digit code for other things) so this is assigned by boost. It's a really stupid password they give to u. I need to figure out how to change it but that's off topic. U may want to also change it. So then when your password they provide pops up on your phone click connect on 2nd device and it promts u for a password. Use the one from your phone. Click connect or continue, what ever it says, and it'll connect. It has a blue tooth connection which I've tried to use with another phone but it didn't work however I think the problem people are having is you need to turn your tethering on your phone FIRST before you are into your 2nd devices connection settings(MAYBE IT'S MY PHONE DOING THAT ALSO.. IDK...) for some reason. I hope this isn't to confusing.
Other words.
SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS:
ON Your teethering phone OR DEVICE YOU'LL TURN TETHER ON. . First time u do a password pop up appears. May not appear again so write it down if you need to.
2nd device. Scan for wireless connection.
Pick yours
Type password.
Click connect and u should have it. This is not the blue tooth way to connect but I don't see why you would need that anyway. MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE IS IN VISIBLE MODE!
Good luck-
Phil
Highlighted
Enthusiast

SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS:
ON Your teethering phone OR DEVICE YOU'LL TURN TETHER ON. . First time u do a password pop up appears. May not appear again so write it down if you need to.
2nd device. Scan for wireless connection.
Pick yours
Type password.
Click connect and u should have it. This is not the blue tooth way to connect but I don't see why you would need that anyway. MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE IS IN VISIBLE MODE!
Good luck-
Phil
Highlighted
Enthusiast

that's what I am looking for. Is any information on how much to tether my cellphone