Phone Add on Insurance- Buyer Beware!

Highlighted
Accomplice
Accomplice

Phone Add on Insurance- Buyer Beware!

Based on my experience purchasing the add-on phone insurance option for my device, I would strongly advise against purchasing the service and thereby forfeiting money each month. I was a long time customer of Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile, and decided to purchase the regular $7 insurance add on in case something happened to my phone. After my faulty phone stopped working due to technical difficulties, I contacted Brightstar Device Insurance for a replacement. I was told that my phone was not eligible to be replaced, though I paid a monthly fee for years. This has been one of the singularly most frustrating customer service experiences I have had. 

See more topics labeled with:
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Agent

Re: Phone Add on Insurance- Buyer Beware!

Hello, rl3! Really sorry to hear about this experience. Let's take a closer look. Why did they say your phone is not eligible to be replaced?

Highlighted
Accomplice
Accomplice

I have been a Virgin Mobile customer since 2012, and selected the option of purchasing Brightstar Device Protection. I have paid the monthly fee, in addition to extra tax assessed, on my phone in order to ensure that I had insurance in case of an accident or emergency.

On Saturday, January 25th, the speakers on my phone began to malfunction. I went online and attempted to utilize the insurance feature to switch to a new phone. The singular option for contacting Brightstar Device for immediate support was through a phone number.  I was forced to pay out of pocket for a new phone. On January 30, once I received the phone and set it up, I contacted Brightstar Devices to file an insurance claim.  

The representative told me my claim was denied  since I had filed two prior claims (one in 2017 and one in 1/2019, both for malfunctioning phones, and claims that were accepted by the company). I have been paying a monthly fee for this service under the impression that I was paying for insurance, without being eligible to recoup the service.

I have been forced to pay literally hundreds of dollars ($102 for the phone, plus $7/month for years) for NOTHING. 

I have made multiple attempts to reach customer service via phone and email prior to posting to this discussion board, to no avail. If this isn't a deceptive business practice, I'm not sure what is. 

Highlighted
Accomplice
Accomplice

I would like to note that I do NOT consider this to be solved. 

Highlighted
Agent

Thank you for replying. Please send us a private message with your phone number and PIN to verify your account.

Highlighted
Accomplice
Accomplice

I have already reached out to the customer service ibox, to no response. Where should I send my number and PIN??

Highlighted
Agent

When calling customer care, it might take some time to get a live agent. You may need to navigate through the options related to your question or request and, when there's an agent available, the call will be transferred.

To send a private message you simply go to one of our agents profile who you want to send a message to and hit the "send this user a private message" button. It's under their contact section on the right side of their profile, right next to their badges.