Can I just put my old sim card in with my new phone and use it?

Go to solution
Accomplice

Can I just put my old sim card in with my new phone and use it?

I'm a current US Boost mobile phone user and I was wondering can I just put my current boost mobile sim card in my new phone and just use it that I order and waiting for it to arrive. I went to a Boost mobile store and ask them this question and they was like I can't. I would have to create a new account and pay my first monthly bill all over again and pay for the activation fee and total of that would be 85 dollars. 55 dollars for my first month. I don't know why they charge me extra 5 when I pay my phone bill at the store and 30 dollars for a activation fee. Am I being lied to? Maybe I should switch carrier even though I really love Boost Mobile. I thought it be free.
34 REPLIES 34
Accomplice

Yes, you are correct @maximuslyricus and thank you, although I already got things straight on my own. I almost left Boost mobile and I wouldn't have been happy to because it's the best deal going for my particular situation. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 9, 512/8gb unlocked from an online site that deals with refurbished, renewed, and certified used phones and specified that I would be using it on CDMA networks and specifically Sprint/Boost. I had originally intended on getting a "new", other, open box phone from eBay but the sellers were all against selling these phones to CDMA customers with particular emphasis on Sprint/Boost. I could have got this phone in better condition for around the same price or maybe even a bit less but gave up on it after all the flack I got about it so I went to research the issue. After doing this and being fairly confident that I could get this phone working with Boost, I was still skeptical about the ebay units so I got this one. It's a nice phone, I shopped for a few days to find one in the best condition possible in my price range, but I'd still rather have a new one. I sacrificed on color choice for better condition. I'm still going to get the one I ultimately wanted now that I know I can get it to work but have to wait a while to recover from this incident, both mentally and financially as these phones aren't cheap and I still have a headache from jaded sellers and Boost customer service.!
Anyhow, back to the subject of my original query, I bought this phone, my Note 9, and 2 if the Boost Mobile 4 in 1 SIM card activation kits for "byop". I put one in here and this phone went very smoothly. It was working in less than 5 minutes. No customer service or online activation at all. I just popped in the right SIM card and off it went. I don't even think it took 2 minutes. Then I waited a few minutes and attempted to get my S9+ to work on my other line and it went through just fine as well. Same deal, I just did it myself without customer service involved, however I did have to use the automated online activation service from the line I wanted the phone on. Thankfully that went without issue.
I apologize for a long post but I want others to have some clear info about how to get the devices we want and remain with Boost because between Sprint and Boost customer service and these sellers out there that won't sell phones to us because of the returns they get from people who used customer service only to be told their phones can't be used, there's a lot of negative info out there based on false info attained from Sprint and Boost because nobody wants to do their jobs anymore and it's easier just to talk them into buying one of the lame options that they offer. I mean, an iPhone?! Gimme a break! I feel bad for all the poor suckers that fell into that trap. Or $1300 for a new Galaxy that doesn't even have a physical audio output jack? Wow. I am saddened by where this industry is headed. My next phone will probably be a $20 Alcatel flip phone, ditch the data and just get a Hotspot for my pc.
Enthusiast

I'm a Boost Mobile customer & I tried doing that & I got the message saying that my new cell phone which is a Boost Mobile phone is not capable to do the swapping of stuff from my old phone. So, with that being said, what do I do
Agent

Hey there @LizBlake1982 Thank you for reaching out to us. We apologize for the inconvenience. You cannot use a SIM card which is already attached to another device. Didn't the new device come with a SIM card?

~JoyP.

~ Joy P.
Enthusiast

Unfortunately the phone didn't come with a SIM card. And earlier this morning I was able to talk to an Agent & I gave them the information that they needed to help me out & when they looked up the information about the phone I bought. They informed me that the phone I bought off of Ebay still had an active number on it, they also told me that I needed to get a hold of the seller to get the cell phone number that is attached to the phone that I bought from them as well as the pin. Plus the Agent told me to ask the sell for the SIM card that needs should have been with the phone. So, I sent the seller a message on EBay about the information that I needed for the phone as well as the SIM card. So, now I'm just waiting for a response.
Agent

@LizBlake1982 Thank you. You can contact us, once you have the information.

~JoyP.

~ Joy P.