Wi-Fi Calling

Go to solution
Highlighted

Wi-Fi Calling

I have an HTC One A9 running Nougat 7.0. "Wi-Fi Calling" shows up in my settings, but I can't find how to turn it on. What do I need to do to make that function work? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Unfotunately, if you are on Boost, the Wi-Fi Calling feature is not currently available.  It is available for Sprint customers.  I know that seems a little confusing since Boost phones are the same as the phones used on the Sprint network, and they are using the same network.  However, the features that are available is controlled by the APN.  If you have been looking in your Android phone, you have probably come across the field that lists the APN and it probably lists n.boost.ispsn as the APN or something very close to this.  This is basically a designation given to the list of features that your Boost Mobile phone can access.  Now, you may think that you just need to change the APN to be the same as a Sprint phone with all of the features you want but don't currently have.  Well, it's not that easy, because there is a lot more to getting the features than just putting the APN in the field.  The network database server called the SPS cross references the APN with the IMSI which is a unique idetifier for your phone and if the APN in the field on the phone doesn't match up with the APN(s) that your phone is set up to use, then it won't register on the network at all until you change it back or set it to automatic so the network gives your phone the correct APN.

I know that's a long explanation, but I wanted to try to explain it a little more than just, your phone has the ability but it's not set up on the network to use it.  I know that answer alone would leave some questions because it's the same network as Sprint, and it's the same as the Sprint phones, plus you might think that when you switch over to Wi-Fi Calling, it's off the wireless network.  But, in actuality, it's still on the network, it's just not using the Sprint towers anymore.  If that also helps answer the question, you might look at it as your phone as the capability to use the Wi-Fi calling and use a Wi-Fi network as a tower, but your phone is not set up and doesn't have permissions to use that connection from that tower (Wi-Fi).  

But, I'm sure it won't be long before the Wi-Fi Calling feature becomes available to subscribers on Boost as well.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted

Unfotunately, if you are on Boost, the Wi-Fi Calling feature is not currently available.  It is available for Sprint customers.  I know that seems a little confusing since Boost phones are the same as the phones used on the Sprint network, and they are using the same network.  However, the features that are available is controlled by the APN.  If you have been looking in your Android phone, you have probably come across the field that lists the APN and it probably lists n.boost.ispsn as the APN or something very close to this.  This is basically a designation given to the list of features that your Boost Mobile phone can access.  Now, you may think that you just need to change the APN to be the same as a Sprint phone with all of the features you want but don't currently have.  Well, it's not that easy, because there is a lot more to getting the features than just putting the APN in the field.  The network database server called the SPS cross references the APN with the IMSI which is a unique idetifier for your phone and if the APN in the field on the phone doesn't match up with the APN(s) that your phone is set up to use, then it won't register on the network at all until you change it back or set it to automatic so the network gives your phone the correct APN.

I know that's a long explanation, but I wanted to try to explain it a little more than just, your phone has the ability but it's not set up on the network to use it.  I know that answer alone would leave some questions because it's the same network as Sprint, and it's the same as the Sprint phones, plus you might think that when you switch over to Wi-Fi Calling, it's off the wireless network.  But, in actuality, it's still on the network, it's just not using the Sprint towers anymore.  If that also helps answer the question, you might look at it as your phone as the capability to use the Wi-Fi calling and use a Wi-Fi network as a tower, but your phone is not set up and doesn't have permissions to use that connection from that tower (Wi-Fi).  

But, I'm sure it won't be long before the Wi-Fi Calling feature becomes available to subscribers on Boost as well.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accomplice

My problem is that the Boost Customer qservice agents are the ones who erroneously told le that Boost offered WiFi and that I needed to upgrade my phone. Had it not been for this wrong inforlation on the part of Boost itself, I would never have purchased a phone for Boost. Now Boost won't unlock my phone because I only had servixe for a Month!!$!! Because Boost does not offer WiFi calling like IT'S AGENTS REPEATEDLY TOLD ME IT DID!!!!  Even when I went to end my service, THAT agent also insisted that Boost did indeed offer WiFi calling.  So Get Your Act together Boost. Own up to your mistakes and ignorant customer service agents. By the way, Boost has the lowest ratings on its custoler service of all networks. Don't you think it's tile to do something about that.  

FINALLY, release my phone from bondage to you. Unlock it. I only bought it under false information from you..BOOST. 

Highlighted
Groupie

I bought a Samsung Galaxy J3 Emerge and had a similar problem.  Boost's website even says it supports wifi calling but there is no option for it whatsoever in the settings.

Highlighted

@grease222 Hi there. Boost Mobile doesn't guarantee that Wi-Fi calling would work on a certain device although a phone may show this feature on the settings. So sorry for any inconvenient.

- E.J.

Highlighted
Groupie

The device help section on the website tells you how to turn on wifi calling on my device. What I'm saying is that setting doesn't exist on the device I have even though the model is same as the device tutorial I'm looking at on Boost mobile's website right now. If boost's system doesn't support it, it shouldn't be listed on the tutorial for Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy J3. That's all I'm saying. I wouldn't have bought this phone if it wasn't supported.
Highlighted

So sorry for any inconvenient. Unfortunately we currently don't guarantee Wi-Fi calling would work on a certain device since is not supported by Boost Mobile.

- E.J.

Highlighted
Groupie

Then why is boost mobile selling devices and telling customers online in the tutorials and in the stores that wifi calling is supported? Seems a little dirty to me.
Highlighted
Agent

Sorry for the confusion. Unfortunately, Wi-Fi calling is not available for prepaid devices. We truly apologize.

Highlighted

Then why was I promised from a boost agent that the phone I got had wifi calling. I told the agent that I had to have WiFi calling and he said get the Galaxy J-3 it has it on that phone. But it does not. Quit lying to everybody.