Issues with in store activation fee

Groupie

Issues with in store activation fee

I recently purchased a phone at a store affiliated with boost mobile. During the purchase the store rep told me I would be charged an activation fee. I asked if I could do it myself. He said no. Next day I called boost cust service and asked the same question and I was told that I could activate it myself. I went back to the store and confronted the rep and wad told that in store activation was policy. I then called boost cust service back and asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor told me that it is boost policy for the store to activate and charge a fee. I would like to see the boost mobile policy that states that. I know that the contractors can institute their own policies regarding this but I want to know what the policy from boost states.
7 REPLIES 7
Agent

Re: Issues with in store activation fee

Hello, @BCalmeseSr.  Sprint is offering our Dealers the option to charge a device set-up fee to help improve the Dealers’ profitability and cash flow in a very competitive environment. This puts the Customer Fees charged by our Dealers at the same level as Customer Fees charged by the other Prepaid Carriers.

Keep in mind that most of our stores are independently owned and operated and might have their own sales policy. If you purchase a phone at www.boostmobile.com, you can activate it yourself and won't be charged for activation.

Groupie

Thank you for a response melissac. But as i stated in my post i know that they have their own policy as independent dealers but i want to know if there is policy that states that I have to pay an activation fee when purchasing a phone
Agent

@BCalmeseSr. Boost Mobile don't require Dealers to charge customers a device set-up fee for activations or upgrades. The set-up fee is optional and used at the Dealer’s discretion. 

I was put in this same position today when i purchased a new phone and was thinking the same as you that it was wrong of them to be so pushy and charge giving no other option. Not a happy customer and thinking some other service like straight talk would treat me better and i need to switch

We’d love to share more info with you. That doesn’t sound good at all. We’re always looking to deliver the best experience.  What’s going on Hussey86?

Groupie

I just went through this in 1/2/2019 worker in the store insistant on activation being a boost policy.They charged me to upgrade my phone.How can i get a refund from them.

Agent

Hi there, @greenadaleaf. Unfortunately, the fees charged at the store are non refundable.