Former cell owners

SOLVED
Highlighted
Groupie

Former cell owners

Newbie to Boost. Just had my phone activated Friday. Today while running errands, Valentine's Day, the previous cell phone owner's boyfriend called and asked who I was and started sending texting messages to the number. It got to the point where my wife stepped in and texted the caller saying stop calling or the police will be contacted as this is now a business line.  My wife used to work for major  telecom and in those days numbers were supposed to be deleted and not recycled. So far no more problems as we would have had to ask for a new number but not if we keep getting obsence phone calls. Any suggestions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: Former cell owners

Unfortunately, numbers are no longer deleted or taken out of circulation when accounts are deactivated.  There are simply not enough phone numbers available to issue a new one for every new line created.  When a line is deactivated either by request or financial cancellation, the number typically will be in a sort of holding tank, in case the previous owner opts to restart his or her service and reclaim it. If I recall, that period was about 90 days,  

I say typically because at certain times, numbers can be released again as available much sooner.  Therefore it's possible that your new number was re-issued sooner than 90s days or the *cough* gentleman you had contact with was simply willing to wait a long time to try again.

Boost Mobile can't detect the difference etween someone calling (or texting) the number to reach you and someone calling to reach the old owner.  People can stop using one phone number, start new service and numbers without asking us, just as they can move to a new home without leaving a forwarding address.  I can sympathize, as I've had my number 12 years and I still occasionally get collection calls for the previous owner.  I used to get 3 or 4 daily.  Let's just say, she owed some folks some money.

As your situation is a little less 'inconvenient' and a little more 'alarming' and I would suggest you block this person.  If your device is an Android, blocking from your Google account is fairly easy, provided the number does not come up as "private".    From the phone app, tap the 3 dots at the top right corner and select "Call Settings" then "Call reject" then "Reject calls".  Select the number you'd like to block either from your call log.

If you have an Apple device, it's very similar, Apple has done all the work for me and provided instructions here

I'm sorry that your start with us has had this sour note, but I do hope you're able to use the blocking feature from your phone's operating system to get a little relief.

Community Manager

Captain of the Pirate Ship the Vicious Cream Puff

If my post (or someone else's) was especially amusing, helpful, or informative, show a little love by clicking the 'thumbs' up' icon to give it a kudos or marking it the Accepted Solution.

3 REPLIES
Promoter

Boost mobile is just a Prepaid company so when there is a new account being activated, it just generate new number from number pool, so must of the numbers are being recycled. If any case you got harassing phone calls and text you have an option to change the phone number online.
Community Manager

Unfortunately, numbers are no longer deleted or taken out of circulation when accounts are deactivated.  There are simply not enough phone numbers available to issue a new one for every new line created.  When a line is deactivated either by request or financial cancellation, the number typically will be in a sort of holding tank, in case the previous owner opts to restart his or her service and reclaim it. If I recall, that period was about 90 days,  

I say typically because at certain times, numbers can be released again as available much sooner.  Therefore it's possible that your new number was re-issued sooner than 90s days or the *cough* gentleman you had contact with was simply willing to wait a long time to try again.

Boost Mobile can't detect the difference etween someone calling (or texting) the number to reach you and someone calling to reach the old owner.  People can stop using one phone number, start new service and numbers without asking us, just as they can move to a new home without leaving a forwarding address.  I can sympathize, as I've had my number 12 years and I still occasionally get collection calls for the previous owner.  I used to get 3 or 4 daily.  Let's just say, she owed some folks some money.

As your situation is a little less 'inconvenient' and a little more 'alarming' and I would suggest you block this person.  If your device is an Android, blocking from your Google account is fairly easy, provided the number does not come up as "private".    From the phone app, tap the 3 dots at the top right corner and select "Call Settings" then "Call reject" then "Reject calls".  Select the number you'd like to block either from your call log.

If you have an Apple device, it's very similar, Apple has done all the work for me and provided instructions here

I'm sorry that your start with us has had this sour note, but I do hope you're able to use the blocking feature from your phone's operating system to get a little relief.

Community Manager

Captain of the Pirate Ship the Vicious Cream Puff

If my post (or someone else's) was especially amusing, helpful, or informative, show a little love by clicking the 'thumbs' up' icon to give it a kudos or marking it the Accepted Solution.

Groupie

Thank you SeaWolf! So far no more contact from the caller as he texted and apologized not realizing the previous owner had "dumped" him and the phone on Valentine's Day of all days. Not the best way to resolve a relationship IMHO but glad it turned out okay. Thanks so much for response and customer support!