"Device restricted", need to "clear restrictions" with a password

Go to solution
Highlighted
Groupie

"Device restricted", need to "clear restrictions" with a password

I recently swapped phones, my new one being a pre-used model of a Samsung Galaxy S8 that I bought from the Boost Mobile website. Calling and texting work fine but every time I attempt to connect to the internet, the phone shows a "device restricted" screen, and I cannot connect. The "Device restricted" screen also says something about how Sprint still owns the phone, with an option to "clear restrictions" with a password. I went to Sprint to see if they could help, but they claimed Boost would be able to give me a password. I would like some help with this, because as far as I know only me and Boost have had this phone, not a third party, and I do not owe any outstanding balances on this phone.

See more topics labeled with:
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Groupie

Sorry for the late response everyone, the issue was resolved several months ago. Unfortunately, the solution took much longer than expected since it meant having to get a completely new Galaxy 8 phone from Boost.

I called Boost, Sprint, Samsung, and everyone else just to see if I could get an unlock code, but no one was able to help me. Finally, after what was probably my sixth or seventh call with Boost, I was told they would send me a completely new, unlocked Samsung Galaxy 8 at no charge, which I received about a week later. I also returned the old locked phone to Boost at no charge.

The new unlocked phone works great, and there were no problems with setup or access. However, I am disappointed it took so long to get any answers on the solution. As far as I can tell, the problem was unsolvable by everyone I asked.

For other customers, please keep in mind that the "device restricted" screen may indicate the phone needs to be replaced. That was the only way I was able to be helped.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Agent

Oh no! Sorry to hear that, benmgoodrich. Definitely wanna look into that for you. Please send us a private message so we may work directly with you. 

You can send a private message by clicking on an agent's name, then selecting the message option from the profile page. 

Highlighted
Accomplice

wondering if this was ever resolved. . . having the same issue

Highlighted
Agent

Hi there, benmgoodrich. Thanks for contacting us. 

Please, send us a private message with the phone number and PIN to check the account. 

Highlighted
Groupie

Sorry for the late response everyone, the issue was resolved several months ago. Unfortunately, the solution took much longer than expected since it meant having to get a completely new Galaxy 8 phone from Boost.

I called Boost, Sprint, Samsung, and everyone else just to see if I could get an unlock code, but no one was able to help me. Finally, after what was probably my sixth or seventh call with Boost, I was told they would send me a completely new, unlocked Samsung Galaxy 8 at no charge, which I received about a week later. I also returned the old locked phone to Boost at no charge.

The new unlocked phone works great, and there were no problems with setup or access. However, I am disappointed it took so long to get any answers on the solution. As far as I can tell, the problem was unsolvable by everyone I asked.

For other customers, please keep in mind that the "device restricted" screen may indicate the phone needs to be replaced. That was the only way I was able to be helped.

View solution in original post