Samsung S10e - no LTE, 3G only

Highlighted
Groupie

Samsung S10e - no LTE, 3G only

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10e - lately only getting 3G and even then it is intermittent(sometimes it drops out and comes back in a few seconds with an "LTE: ESM EMH - 13 APN...." error - cannot establish a data connection - I am in NYC and this happens all over - various parts of Brooklyn, Chelsea area of Manhattan E23rd/Madison, LIC Queens, etc. Please don't tell me I have to do a factory data reset just did one a couple months ago and it's a pain to restore everything. I did update the PRL/profile numerous times and of course reboots....  Is there a 4G outage in NYC??? Otherwise the phone works fine with WIFI but with mobile data only it is slow (3G) and intermittent....  need my 4g LTE!

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Agent

Hi! We’re sorry about the situation you are experiencing. We will be glad to look into this for you! Please send us a private message, so we can investigate, and assist you further. Thanks! ~AmyM25

~AmyM25
Highlighted

I',e having the same issue.  Sent a message to Boost but no word yet. 

Highlighted
Agent

Hi, @elisecrosson! We’re sorry about the situation you are experiencing. We will be glad to look into this for you! Please send us a private message, so we can investigate, and assist you further. Thanks!

Highlighted
Groupie

An update on this issue...."fixed"

I did contact tech support they were helpful to rule out the network (quick response time btw - waited less than 30 sec) - everything was fine on the Sprint/Boost network for LTE/4G...however they could not find the cause or a solution. The rep was going to transfer me to another tech support person but I had to leave. the office....

The "solution"...a bandaid...  Since it seemed that something (a 3rd party app or internal app/code) on the phone kept forcing the phone into 3G mode I decided to search on Play for a "Force 4G" app....found one called  "ForceLTE" which forces the phone into a particular mode and keeps it there unless switched to another mode (3G/2G/etc)....well it's not a pretty app but it worked....my LTE speeds are now great ranging from about 150mb/s to over 300 mb/s d/l speed - avg over 200 mb/s (compared to 2 mb/s down and up on 3G)....this is LTE only with 4/5 bars and no wifi. The upload speed is not too great but 10-20 mb/s is good enough for me....I only really need the LTE mode when tethering....most of the time 3G is fine so I switch it back when done - BTW the only downside in forcing LTE mode is you get no phone calls (but texts/emails fine)...well that could be a plus anyway.

I think Samsung needs to fix this bug and/or design a one tap button to force LTE only mode maybe in a near future update. I also understand there is also a dial string command to force LTE but I like the app better.....

Highlighted
Enthusiast

My wife and I both have a Galaxy S10e that was great up until a couple weeks ago.  We've always had great coverage in this region (northern Indiana) but out of nowhere we can't get anything better than spotty 3G.  I haven't seen LTE since the end of June.  Sprint service reps say "nothing wrong with our towers"...  I was extremely happy with the shift from VM to Boost, but this 3G only nonsense needs to get fixed, and from the recent comments here and with Sprint it appears our family aren't the only ones who all of a sudden have this exact same problem!

👍UPDATE:  So doing some more digging around the discussions here I found someone with the same issues and a response from a rep actually provided a solution which WORKED!!  So I'm providing it here for anyone else - 

"Thanks. Please follow these steps to reprogram the phone:
1. Make sure the WiFi is disabled and the Mobile Data is turned on.
2. Check signal strength (3 bars or 60% is recommended)
3. From the dial pad enter ##72786# (press "OK" when prompted)
4. The cellphone is going to update the Profile and the PRL and reboot automatically. 
5. Wait 15 minutes, then test the service to see if it works better."

I have solid LTE again like I used to, and my speeds are back where they used to be.  Hopefully this is a full solution and it doesn't change.  We'll find out in the coming days...  Cheers 

Highlighted
Enthusiast

That doesn't work for me and the overwhelming majority of others when trying to get service on our phones. I pay $70 a month and I have no service for 2 weeks now. These Agents won't tell you is that these towers ate being upgraded and it will be 3 months before I can have service in my area.
Highlighted
Groupie

Yep so far the dial pad procedure also worked for me...it takes a few minutes...it basically re-activates the phone on the Sprint network, PRL, profile on the SIM card. One weird side effect is that the phone's date and time went back to May 21, 2020 (today is 7-11-2020 - hey maybe a free Slurpee?) ... back to the future!... but anyway that was easily fixed. A quick speed check shows it is working at LTE speeds (without using the force lte app) .... time will tell how this works over the coming days. Hopefully I can get calls and texts! Thanks! 

Highlighted

I have same problem!4
Highlighted
Agent

Hi! We’re sorry about the situation you are experiencing. We will be glad to look into this for you! Please send us a private message, so we can investigate, and assist you further. Thanks!