No Data Coverage/False "3G" Icon

Go to solution
Highlighted
Accomplice

No Data Coverage/False "3G" Icon

Since being on Boost, as before I was a Virgin Mobile customer, I have had one problem after another. With Virgin, I had very few issues over the 7 years I was on that service, and figured that Boost was buying new resources, therefor, service should get better, but it's been horrendous, and I'm honestly amazed that it's legal.

Background: At the beginning of the year, when switched, I could not receive calls and would only know anyone called if they left a message, as it didn't appear in my call history. Being military, working and living in the Hawai'i Standard Time Zone which doesn't align well with customer service hours, it was difficult to contact anyone, but over a few months, I periodically tried calling or chatting, never getting the issue resolved. Finally, about a month ago, I went to a physical store location, and after a few hours, they determined that I had never actually been switched to Boost, and would need to make an early payment for the next month to resolve it. I did so, also seeing that Boost advertised 4G, which I've never had, so I figured that it could only be a good thing.

The problem with call receiving was finally fixed, but soon after, I discovered that I could not receive data (it displays the "3G" icon falsely, as I always check, and there is no internet connection whatsoever), and only got a connection when connected to wi-fi, and when not connected to wi-fi, could not receive texts from other Apple products. I went through every step customer service could come up with until I was told that they knew the issue, and it was a problem with a tower near my home, and it would be fixed within three days. Since I work all over the island and have had the same issue everywhere, I assumed this was just yet another way to stall me, for lack of any real solution, and sure enough, now three days later, I am having the same issue. In fact, after contacting customer service, my cellular coverage also suddenly became terrible. 

My guess is that since Boost is being sold to Dish, Sprint really doesn't care anymore; if the price is set, it would yield more profit to devalue the resource in the months approaching selling it to Dish, using less money for maintenance and other necessary expenses. That is just speculation, of course, but regardless, I've been paying for services which I haven't received since Boost took over, and the issue never seems to be getting fixed. The fair thing to do would be to be compensated for it and have my phone unlocked, but I would seriously just settle for the latter. I just want out. My phone was paid in full, but yes, I'm aware of the sneaky 1-year contract rule (which also shouldn't even be legal) that is always regurgitated out when looking at any related post on this site; that does not fix my problem. Unlocking my phone and letting me go is obviously the only thing that will fix my problem. I've seen other chats about similar issues, and it sounds like they never get resolved.

I'm stuck with a service that genuinely has a negative impact on my entire life. No one can get in touch with me from important work-related chats if I'm not home. Unless I am at home, not even my own wife can contact me, and when I need to go somewhere I've never been before, I can't use GPS, so I just have to drive around aimlessly, hoping I find whatever facility before it closes and I get in trouble.

Please, I just want out. That's all I'm asking, practically begging.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accomplice

Come to find out, it isn't that Boost customer service isn't capable of fixing these things to some degree, they just don't really put the information out there, and are really hesitant to transfer people to the actual technical support department for some reason. So called in, and it has at least gotten better. These are the steps I was given, in case anyone else is having similar issues and wants to save a lot of time:

1. Dial ##25327#, click "OK", then wait for a second message to come up and click "OK" again. 

2. Dial ##873283#, and follow same steps as above. The follow up message I was supposed to get never came after several attempts, however, the problem does seem to be solved, overall. My connection isn't great, but I am actually able to use data now.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Agent

Sorry to heat that, wanganzu. We value your privacy and security. Due to the nature of your concern, we would like to authenticate your account, but for us to do this in a secure way we need to take this to a private channel where we can discuss private account information. Please send us a private message along with your phone number, the PIN and a brief description of your request. To send a private message, please click on any of the social care agent's user names and select the option, send this user a private message. 

Highlighted
Accomplice

Come to find out, it isn't that Boost customer service isn't capable of fixing these things to some degree, they just don't really put the information out there, and are really hesitant to transfer people to the actual technical support department for some reason. So called in, and it has at least gotten better. These are the steps I was given, in case anyone else is having similar issues and wants to save a lot of time:

1. Dial ##25327#, click "OK", then wait for a second message to come up and click "OK" again. 

2. Dial ##873283#, and follow same steps as above. The follow up message I was supposed to get never came after several attempts, however, the problem does seem to be solved, overall. My connection isn't great, but I am actually able to use data now.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Enthusiast

I am with everyone else... dont like the lies..
Haven't had data in 3 days, they blamed it on a tower being out.. wont fix the problem.. switching to another company, boost is horrible since dish took over.. If u buy a company, you are supposed to make it better, not worse.
Highlighted
Agent

That's not what we like to hear, @wizardsdream. We're truly sorry to hear about this issue. Please, send us a private message with your phone number, PIN, and address to check the network performance. To send a private message just click on the picture of any Boost Mobile agent and, in the next screen, click "send this user a private message".

Highlighted
Accomplice

I do really appreciate the technical support guy’s help, but yeah, as soon as I can get my phone unlocked, definitely switching to Mint Mobile. Somehow coverage has gone down since Virgin was bought by Boost, which makes no sense, and service is just unstable; there seems to periodically be some new issue that takes months to get resolved. I know it isn’t the fault of the customer service representatives, but solutions should be more transparent and easy to find.

Highlighted
Enthusiast

I cant message u...
Highlighted
Agent

Hi there, @wizardsdream. Sorry to hear that you're having issues. How are you trying to send us a private message?

Highlighted
Accomplice

When I dial ##25327# it does nothing...
Highlighted
Agent

Hello, @LoChap. Thanks for contacting us. We'll be happy to help, but we could use more info. Are you experiencing issues with the service? If so, please provide us with more details to better assist you.