Boost won't unlock my previously factory unlocked phone.

Highlighted

Boost won't unlock my previously factory unlocked phone.

I was with Virgin Mobile, which is now Boost. I upgraded to a new phone in November - I bought the phone factory unlocked from Best Buy. I am not totally happy with the phone, so am looking at another upgrade, was going to sell the old one to a friend, who will be using it on another network. I called Boost today to check and make sure the phone is unlocked. No! They have LOCKED the phone, and will not unlock it until I have had it on their service for one full year! I thought it was supposed to be 3 months, but apparently that has changed.

To me, it seems like total theft to lock a previously unlocked phone and then refuse to unlock it. So, rather than upgrading to a new phone I will be much happier with, I am stuck using this phone for another four months until they will unlock it. It was a $260+ phone. What a total rip-off that is - I've not heard of other carriers LOCKING a previously UNLOCKED phone, then refusing to unlock it. I am seriously considering looking for a different carrier myself once my year is up and I can get the phone unlocked - it's basically a one-year contract on anyone who signs up with Boost unless you want a phone you can no longer use.

Boost - you need to make things right with this.

(When I called, I was told by the rep that he would ask the higher ups about it, and that they MIGHT consider an exemption, that they MIGHT either text me within the next 72 business hours or I might have to call back to find out what was decided. Seems like poor customer service to me.)

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Agent

Sorry to hear that, Blue2. Let's do some investigating. Please send us a private message with the account phone number, PIN code, IMEI, and a picture of the receipt where it says that the phone is unlocked.

Highlighted

The private message was sent, but you guys stopped responding.

Highlighted
Agent

Hi! Thanks for reaching out to us. We want to investigate. We do not have a private message from you. Could you please send it again? Thank you. ~AmyM25

~AmyM25
Highlighted
Accomplice

I feel your pain. I was a Sprint/ Virgin Mobile client for many years before I was dumped to Boost. We live in a very rural area and I started having issues regarding poor or no service. I went to a local Boost store and was told my phone (Galaxy S7)was old and that was my problem. The guy said if I bought a Boost brand phone, the issues would be resolved. I bought a new Galaxy A20, (which shows Virgin every time it starts) but it was just new day same crap. Still horrible service. I have to drive down the road to send a text with a pic or make a call that won't drop after 2 minutes. Called Boost and asked for my fully paid phone to be unlocked. Got the lame tired excuse about having to be in network for a year. I asked if the agreement mentioned anything about Boost actually providing coverage so I could use the phone they tricked me into buying, but the rep wouldn't budge. She finally told me that if I called Samsung, my useless phone could be unlocked. This turned out to be a blatant lie, as Samsung couldn't help me. So....stuck with a paperweight and no service for a year until the liars at Boost will allow me to go to a carrier that provides service to my area. If Boost is going to lean on the 12 month crap, there should be a reciprocal agreement that Boost PROVIDES SERVICE TO MY AREA. Can't wait to switch to a reputable, ethical carrier. DH