$50 Unlimited plan, yet extremely slow data speeds

Enthusiast

Re: $50 Unlimited plan, yet extremely slow data speeds

I can confirm that my data is being throttled. I called customer service and they plainly told me that I'm in an area with excellent coverage, plus I'm close to a Boost tower. Regardless, speed tests are averaging my download speeds at under 2 mb/s. That's absolutely abysmal. And my new month of service started about a week ago, so there's absolutely no way that I've reached the high speed data cap. By process of elimination, that leaves secret throttling as the only logical possibility. Care to offer a rebuttal?
Agent

Definitely want to look into this for you, MarcusOlson9217. To research further, can you send us the cross streets and ZIP codes where this occurs?

Enthusiast

It happens in the Old Towne area in Petersburg, Virginia. Zip code is 23803. The area is not the issue, as I'm never below 3 bars LTE while in said area.
Agent

What type of phone do you have? How many bars are you getting now? @MarcusOlson9217

Enthusiast

I have an LG Stylo 2. I currently have 3 bars LTE. A data speed test set my DL speeds at 2 mb/s, as usual. UL speed is even lower.
Agent

@MarcusOlson9217 Thanks for the information. Please follow these steps to update your data profile:
-Tap the Settings icon.
-From the General tab, scroll to and tap System updates.
-Tap Update profile.
-Once the profile update is complete, tap OK.
-The data profile is now up to date.

-Power cycle your phone.

Enthusiast

Tried it. No dice. Data speeds didn't change in the least. Updating the PRL has no effect, either.
Agent

Hey, MarcusOlson9217! I’d like to look into this for you. Can you shoot us a private message with your phone number and pin to verify your account? Thanks!

Groupie

Omg. I've been dealing with the same thing every month!!! I hate this service....
Agent

Hello, Gwendaniel! We're sorry to know that you're experiencing this issue. Please send us your phone number and pin code to review this.