Motorola X4 - Unlocked US - Invalid SIM Error > Stuck Configuring Cellular Network

Go to solution
Accomplice

Motorola X4 - Unlocked US - Invalid SIM Error > Stuck Configuring Cellular Network

HELP!!! Motorola X4 unlocked stuck at > Configuring your Cellular Network and Invalid SIM notifications. Will not activate.

I purchased a new unlocked Motorola X4 from bestbuy. Activated the device with At&t and wanted Boost because of the Deals. I went to the Boost Mobile site and checked my device to be sure that it is compatible > https://activate.boostmobile.com/bring-your-phone, and it was. It even told me I needed a SIM Card > SIMOLW506C. Which I ordered and purchased. from Boost. I even checked Motorola's website > https://www.motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility.  I verified that it IS compatible with Sprint/Boost. 

Long story short I went against my better judgement and ported my number from At&t this morning. I should have activated a temporoary number. Because now I have no phone that works. 

My Phone after taking SIM card out and rubbing on cloth, putting it back in, and rebooted. WILL NOT activate. It even says 'SPRINT' and LTE service... PLEASE HELP.. I called Sprint Technical which is supposed to be overnighting me a SIM card, but that is pending from FRAUD I guess.... Very very frustrated and upset.. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accomplice

Re: Motorola X4 - Unlocked US - Invalid SIM Error > Stuck Configuring Cellular Network

Ok so my Motorola X4 is active and working with Boost Mobile. WITH THE SAME SIM CARD I BOUGHT ONLINE NOT THE REPLACEMENT ONE I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE. I used the compatibility checker on boosts site, and entered my IMEI then ordered the ONLY kit they have. It includes 3 SIM card sheets with different SKUs. Matched the SKU to the one I needed and pulled the 'Nano' sim out and put it in my phone.

Around 1:30am this morning. I noticed the 'LTE' next to my signal turned into a little 'R'. Up until this point it said 'LTE'. It's important to note that ever since I placed my SIM into the device I got full LTE bars and when I even pulled down my notification bar on my Moto X4 it said 'Sprint' on the far top left. So when I saw the 'R' I tried to place a call the 611 and instead of being greeted with a robot voice saying "The number or code you dialed is incorrect." I received a message on the screen "Invalid SIM Error" it didn't try and even call out at this point.
So with nothing to lose I went into my Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Network (Which still said Sprint) > turned Data Roaming "ON" > made sure "Prefferred Network Type" was LTE > System Select "Automatic" > CDMA Subscription "RUIM/SIM".

Then went to my 'Home Screen" ran the "Google Nexus" Carrier settings updater I found online.

(The standard one Boost Customer Care tried having me run never did anything on my Moto X4 running Android 8.0 - dialing ##72786# never prompted anything on my screen automatically or even by calling it)

**I ENABLED "Wi-fi" and enabled 'Mobile Data" if needed**
Then > Go to the phone app > Enter *# *# 72786 #* #* - DO NOT TAP the call icon or try to connect the phone will automatically come up with a confirmation screen after entering the last "#". Confirm the reset - this did not wipe my phone just cleared all the SIM Carrier Settings > Allow device to reboot.

The I wasn't hopefull due to doing this all throughout the day, even changing all the settings for roaming and network. I thought I would be doomed waiting for this mystical new SIM I was told would work... I know that Customer Care was trying to help (I had to demand free overnight shipping).

So after running that Carrier Settings Code and my phone rebooted the "Invalid SIM Card" error came up again like before. Also the "Configuring Cellular Network" notification came up like before... So I plugged in my Moto X4 for the night and turned the screen off. I went to bed. Not even 2 minutes later my phone started VIBRATING like crazy. I got Notification and Notification, for voicemail aftet voicemail and text after text because I wasn't getting any all day. I then pulled my notification bar down and the "Sprint" on the far top left turned to "Boost Mobile" and I disabled my Wi-Fi and tried accessing MSN.com - it came up fast. I then placed a call - IT WORKED. I then turned off my phone thinking it was a fluke and I was doomed to a non working phone with 3 children over the weekend. When it came back on - It STILL said "Boost Mobile" and had LTE service.

So all is well. My Moto X4 unlocked US version purchased @Best Buy is working on Boost Mobile. Unfortunately I am not sure what exactly worked. But this was what happened to me. Good luck. Hopefully this helps someone.
5 REPLIES 5
Agent

Re: Motorola X4 - Unlocked US - Invalid SIM Error > Stuck Configuring Cellular Network

Oh no! Sorry to hear that, JoshMer29. Definitely want to look into this for you. Please send us a private message so we may work directly with you.

You can send a private message by clicking on my name, then selecting the message option from the profile page. 

Accomplice

This got that Carrier Reset prompt to come up on my Moto X4... 

Still Didn't work...... Rebooted and tried twice. Carrier settings and phone rebooted no change.... Shows Sprint and LTE full bars... no voice or data service activated. 

Google Nexus Devices (Don't know why this worked)

1. Disable Wi-fi and enable Data if needed*
  2. Go to the phone app
  3. Enter *# *# 72786 #* #* -  do not tap the call icon or try to connect
  4. Enter your MSL
  5. Confirm the reset
  6. Allow device to restart and go through the activation process

*Some LTE devices can perform a carrier reset over a Wi-Fi connection, but if it doesn't work for you, then go ahead and follow step one before trying your carrier reset again.

Highlighted
Accomplice

Ok so my Motorola X4 is active and working with Boost Mobile. WITH THE SAME SIM CARD I BOUGHT ONLINE NOT THE REPLACEMENT ONE I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE. I used the compatibility checker on boosts site, and entered my IMEI then ordered the ONLY kit they have. It includes 3 SIM card sheets with different SKUs. Matched the SKU to the one I needed and pulled the 'Nano' sim out and put it in my phone.

Around 1:30am this morning. I noticed the 'LTE' next to my signal turned into a little 'R'. Up until this point it said 'LTE'. It's important to note that ever since I placed my SIM into the device I got full LTE bars and when I even pulled down my notification bar on my Moto X4 it said 'Sprint' on the far top left. So when I saw the 'R' I tried to place a call the 611 and instead of being greeted with a robot voice saying "The number or code you dialed is incorrect." I received a message on the screen "Invalid SIM Error" it didn't try and even call out at this point.
So with nothing to lose I went into my Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Network (Which still said Sprint) > turned Data Roaming "ON" > made sure "Prefferred Network Type" was LTE > System Select "Automatic" > CDMA Subscription "RUIM/SIM".

Then went to my 'Home Screen" ran the "Google Nexus" Carrier settings updater I found online.

(The standard one Boost Customer Care tried having me run never did anything on my Moto X4 running Android 8.0 - dialing ##72786# never prompted anything on my screen automatically or even by calling it)

Then > Go to the phone app > Enter *# *# 72786 #* #* - DO NOT TAP the call icon or try to connect the phone will automatically come up with a confirmation screen after entering the last "#". Confirm the reset - this did not wipe my phone just cleared all the SIM Carrier Settings > Allow device to reboot.

The I wasn't hopefull due to doing this all throughout the day, even changing all the settings for roaming and network. I thought I would be doomed waiting for this mystical new SIM I was told would work... I know that Customer Care was trying to help (I had to demand free overnight shipping).

So after running that Carrier Settings Code and my phone rebooted the "Invalid SIM Card" error came up again like before. Also the "Configuring Cellular Network" notification came up like before... So I plugged in my Moto X4 for the night and turned the screen off. I went to bed. Not even 2 minutes later my phone started VIBRATING like crazy. I got Notification and Notification, for voicemail aftet voicemail and text after text because I wasn't getting any all day. I then pulled my notification bar down and the "Sprint" on the far top left turned to "Boost Mobile" and I disabled my Wi-Fi and tried accessing MSN.com - it came up fast. I then placed a call - IT WORKED. I then turned off my phone thinking it was a fluke and I was doomed to a non working phone with 3 children over the weekend. When it came back on - It STILL said "Boost Mobile" and had LTE service.

So all is well. My Moto X4 unlocked US version purchased @Best Buy is working on Boost Mobile. Unfortunately I am not sure what exactly worked. But this was what happened to me. Good luck. Hopefully this helps someone.
Accomplice

As stupid as this sounds... ITS BECAUSE YOU PLUGGED YOUR PHONE IN!!!  I was having this exact issue and tried everything in this post repeatedly, the ONLY thing that's different was that I hadn't tried doing it with the phone plugged in.  Apparently this is required.