Moto G7 issues

Go to solution
Accomplice

Re: Moto G7 issues

thanks for posting!! im really loving my G7.

Accomplice

Does anybody know if this would work with the Moto G7 Play? I'm having the same issues with that.

Agent

Hello iPlay. In order to verify if the phone is compatible with us, please use our device identifier online here.

Accomplice

EdmondM, no offense but you clearly didn't read the other posts. The Boost site & 90% of the tech support are clueless when it comes to unlocked phones, which is obvious with all the posts. I went through the same issues when I bought my wife an unlocked G6 Plus a year or so ago, it took days to find somebody capable of getting it to work. I just want to know if the G7 play will use the same SIM card as the G7. I will probably just go and get one and try since it's a minimum expense. I was just hoping somebody out there (that doesn't work for Boost) got a G7 Play to work Robot Happy

Accomplice

Here is a more specific question, since I'm still sitting here.

I have a G6 play I purchased from Boost, I want to switch to the new G7 Play I just bought from Motorola. Can I just swap the SIM and then try to find a tech that is able to make it work?

Hey there, iPlay! We do not recommend you to do that, as the device you mentioned is not yet listed as a device we are able to activate. We are sorry.

Accomplice

Right, I understand that it's not on the list. So just answer this then, how are all the other people on this thread using their G7 phones on Boost mobile.

Accomplice

Just got off the phone with customer service again. Now they say the G7 and G7 Power ARE compatible, but not the G7 Play. I'm not sure if I fully believe that, but I'm not getting anywhere fast. 

Just for goofs I put the SIM from my G6 Play in the G7 Play and it worked for a minute, but then the SIM locks. But a text message came through. Explain that. I'm not a super techie guy, but I'm reasonably intelligent. Motorola told me the G6 and G7 are basically the same and there is no reason why it wouldn't work with Boost. Boost tells me the opposite. I'm just going to put it on the shelf for a bit and hopefully somebody can figure something out.

Highlighted
Groupie

Just so people know they aren't crazy there appears to be a firmware bug that prevents activation from working in the G7 ( and variants ).  This hurts MVNO/prepay the most because those APN settings are crucial to getting LTE data and hotspot working  ( no LTE being the primary complaint ) since they are not stock values.  You can search for virtually any prepay provider and the moto g7 and you will find stories of some people getting it to work and others not being as lucky.  My G7 refused to activate on Ting/CDMA until I wiped the phone and rolled back to an earlier version of the firmware.  Moto still doesn't admit that there is anything wrong with the software.  If you think you are affected just check the dial menu ##data `*#*#3282#*#*` and check `APN Settings` to see if Internet and/or Pam is blank or incomplete. 

FYI, you can't just swap SIMs with boots and other Sprint/CDMA carriers since the SIM must be paired with the phone.

Accomplice

Wellllll, to make a long story short, my G7 Play is activated and working fine for now. Must be a miracle since none of the reps at Boost said it was possible. But I'm not surprised at all.