Is the Moto G7 no longer compatible with Boost Mobile?

Highlighted
Accomplice

Is the Moto G7 no longer compatible with Boost Mobile?

Last month I bought the Moto G7 and got it activated on Boost with quite a bit of effort. Now a Motorola agent has told another customer at Amazon that the phone is not compatible with Boost Mobile. Furthermore, their website which stated earlier that it was compatible with Boost Mobile says it no longer is. So why did this happen and can I expect my phone to continue working. I have two family members on my Boost account who want a G7,  but if it is not working, we may have to find another carrier.

15 REPLIES 15
Agent

Re: Is the Moto G7 no longer compatible with Boost Mobile?

Hello, nightspirit. Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, the Moto G7 is no longer compatible with Boost Mobile. However, you can expect your phone to continue working as long as you don't change phones on your account. 

If you have any other question or concern, just let us know. We're here to help!

Accomplice

The Motorola compatibility chart states that the G7Play and G7Power  has been tested and carrier-certified to work on this network, but NOT the G7. However, Boost still says none of them are as far as I know (still working on it). Yet some people are using G7s on Boost. I have't heard of anyone getting a Play or Power working.

So can anyone answer this, there is no TECHNICAL reason why any unlocked phone can't be used on any carrier, right?, so what is the reason and who makes those decisions? I assume it just has to do with money, and probably power and pride. But it's just aggravating to us consumers. 

Hello AGENTS, what is THE reason you won't activate a certain phone?

Agent

Hey there! Unlocking your phone won't necessarily make it compatible with the Boost Mobile service. A device designed for one network isn't surely made compatible with another network merely by unlocking it.

Accomplice

Yes, I understand that. But the phone in question was made by Motorola to work with any carrier. It's not a phone from another carrier. It's a virgin phone that Motorola said they tested and verified to work with Boost.

(See https://www.motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility)

So in theory, it WAS made to work with Boost. So you still didn't answer my question. Who decides which phones will work at Boost? And why would you allow some and not others? Like some variations of the G7 and not others?

Motorola told me the G7 Play is essentially the same as the G6 Play, just upgraded to be faster, but the carrier specs are the same. Motorola told me there is NO reason the G7 Play would not work on Boost. I wish Motorola would talk to Boost. But I've moved up to level 2 support, maybe I will get somewhere with them. I will keep squeaking until I get resolution! Robot Happy

Accomplice

All I can see is that this is ploy by Sprint to get new subscribers. There is no reason a factory unlocked phone that works on Sprint will not work on Boost. How do I know this, my Moto G7 is working on Boost, and they did not change the phones. I already checked and my phone can be used on Straight Talk, and other pre paid carriers. so that is the route I may have to take to upgrade my families phones.
Agent

We're sorry you feel this way, @nightspirit. Unfortunately, if the website shows that a device is not compatible with us, it can't be activated. You can always check the compatibility of a phone by accessing the following link: https://boost.co/2rFRZHK.

Accomplice

I had the g7 power which was able to be activated after 2 days of trying but i didnt have mms, after a week it stopped working and theycouldnt reactivate it. So i had to return it. A big waste of time and money for something boost and best buy said would work. I now dont trust bringing any cdma unlocked phone to boost which is what i think boost wanted to happen.
Accomplice

You are not up to speed on what the g7 is. Its a universal unlocked phone that best buy and other retailers said would work on boost. They were activating the g7's but stopped. And now if you swap device or reset your phone it wont re activate on boost screwing over everybody who purchased this phone. The best buy people were nice enough to give me store credit for the phone but since they stopped selling boost mobile that money cant be used for its purpose anymore. $270 stuck in a card to a store i dont need anything from.
Accomplice

Hey, the boost website was allowing them and best buy and amazon was selling them saying it could work on boost, all of a sudden they change the website to say it doesnt work. So people were lied to.