Workaround: LG X Power locks up on firmware update

Highlighted

Workaround: LG X Power locks up on firmware update

I have a possible fix for anyone who gets locked up on the firmware update screen and is not able to power down and/or boot up.
(The method I used can damage any phone. I do not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability and accuracy of this information. It worked for me and may not work for you. Any action you take upon the information contained in this post is strictly at your own risk and I will not be liable for any losses and damages in connection with the use of this information.)
LG tech support told me i needed to send in my phone to get repaired for 3 weeks. Unfortunately I had some time sensitive data on my phone that I needed to retrieve so this was not an immediate option. I was not able to retrieve said data in time and lost a bid on a contract due to this. In hope that I can save someone the headache, aggravation and loss of money that i went through here is what i figured out. After spending 5 hours researching I was finally able to boot back up. (This may only be a temp fix so I advise to follow LG's advice in sending the phone in to be repaired if they so request. This will at the least allow you to access your phone until such time).
If your phone is locked up on the firmware update screen w/ download percentage hanging at 0. I advise you to wait at least an hour before attempting this and make sure you are outside where reception is good in the off chance that the phone is trying to download but has poor reception. If at anytime the download progress bar rises above 0 percentage do not attempt this and contact a boost care representative.
If the phone is actually downloading the update and u attempt this you could damage the phone. This worked for me and at the time i was prepared to take the risk because of the time constraints.
1. On lockup screen hold the power button and the volume down button simultaneously. This will hard shutdown the phone.
2. After shutdown press the power button to reboot.
3. If the phone boots up you are good to go and can skip the next step.
4. If the phone boots up to the firmware update screen again wait another hour to see if it attempts to download. If the progress bar is still at 0 proceed to step 5.
5. Repeat steps 1 - 2. As the phone is rebooting hold only the power button pressed until you see that the phone has bypassed the firmware update screen.
Hope this helps.

6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager

Re: LG X Power locks up on firmware update

Thanks for the tip, @Techdude45.  I'm sure lots of people will find it helpful..

Since all you're really doing in this case is forcing the phone to shut down completely and start back up, it's actually pretty unlikely to damage anybody's device but your warning is always timely: mileage will always vary about free advice on the Internet Robot Happy

Community Manager

Captain of the Pirate Ship the Vicious Cream Puff

If my post (or someone else's) was especially amusing, helpful, or informative, show a little love by clicking the 'thumbs' up' icon to give it a kudos or marking it the Accepted Solution.

Accomplice

Re: Workaround: LG X Power locks up on firmware update

Doing it once again! This seems to be a weekly occurrence now. Very, very frustrating! Except this time it wont let me do the shut down. Has been locked up for well over an hour now. /Sigh/ I was so happy when I first signed on with Boost and chose this phone.  Not even 6 month do down the road and Im second guessing my choices. But Im stubborn....so will keep with em and hope kinks get worked out.

BUT how am I supposed to get this phone to work?!!!?!!?

Accomplice

I hope to God this doesn't happen to my lg x power. I've been having problems every day with the phone freezing up after switching or playing applications. Seems to be a memory leak within the system. I already did a complete factory reset.

Since nobody is calling LG to report this, I called. They said nobody has reported the issue to be fixed.

So if you want the issue fixed, everyone call 1 (800) 243-0000 and report the issue. They do not monitor third party forums, so tell them directly.

Groupie

Re: LG X Power locks up on firmware update

@Techdude45
Thank you for the information, it worked the first try! Sometimes u have to just have to find someone that can help you manually override systems 😊
Does anyone know what brings the firmware lockdown on?
-
Groupie

Thank you @Techdude45 the override you provided worked first try!
Any idea what brings the firmware lockdown on? I woke up to my phone like this