Moto E4 Plus phone app won't uodate

GKC Groupie
Groupie

Moto E4 Plus phone app won't uodate

I bought a Moto E4 Plus a few days ago, and activation went fine.  Yesterday, I got a notification that the Phone app needed an update, but that it couldn't update. I clicked on Update in the Play Store, and it started to update, but then it stopped and I got an error code (-505.) All the other apps update fine, as needed. I tried all the suggested helps (force stopping the app, clearing cache, clearing data, restarting the phone, etc.) but it still won't update. The phone itself works (makes and receives calls) but I wonder if it will eventually fail without an update. Anyone else have this problem and any fixes? 

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Accomplice

Re: Moto E4 Plus phone app won't uodate

I need to find out how to become an agent because I've solved more than one issue in under half an hour.
GKC Groupie
Groupie

I read your earlier reply (which I can't see now) that you were experiencing the same thing, and that you thought it was something in the app.  I was very excited a little bit ago, because it downloaded all the way to 100% (previous attempts didn't go past 10%) so I thought it was going to work, but alas when it started to install it failed, and I got the error message again. 

If I understand, correctly, solution indicated seems to be "ignore the error since the phone is still working."  (My wife told me the same thing, and to quit being a worry wart.) Maybe I am a worry wart, but it seems to me that a solution should be one that solves the problem so that the app downloads and installs correctly. It's obviously something wrong in the app, since people on various forums are beginning to comment about this problem. It's unfortunate that Google doesn't offer live assistance (if I was in charge of everything, every company would have to provide live assistance.)

At this time, I guess all I can do is try not to worry about it, since the phone does work. It's unnerving to me when a brand new phone starts to have an issue, and especially so since I am technically incompetent. That you for your response, and I hope my comments don't appear to be ungrateful. It is at least comforting to know that it's not just me. 

Thank you. 

Agent

Sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing this issue, GKC. We want to help! What is  the specific error message that you're getting?

GKC Groupie
Groupie

When I go to the Google Play Store, and check My Apps and Games, it says that there is an update pending for the Phone app. (There have been other apps needing an update periodically but they have all updated correctly. I don't usually have automatic update enabled, but I have turned it on to see if that was part of the issue.) When I click on the Update button the app starts to download, but doesn't usually go past 10% or so before it stops and I get a message saying that the app could not be installed, with the error code -505.  Once it did go to 100%, but when it started to install, it stopped and the same error message came up.  I have tried a number of things, including force stopping the app, deleting the cache and data, and restarting the phone. I have done that for the Play Store as well, and I have restarted the phone numerous times. I don't have any 3rd party apps that didn't come from the Play Store, but I deleted them to see if that was the case, and enabled any apps that I had disabled (like Instagram.) Nothing has had any effect. The only thing I haven't tried so far is to completely remove Google from the phone, and then reinstall it. 

Thank you for your interest and any assistance you can provide. 

Enthusiast

I'm having the same problem with my boostmobile Moto E4.  Has anyone solved this yet?

Enthusiast

I'm having the same problem with my new boostmobile Moto E4.  Has anyone found a real solution yet? Thanks!

GKC Groupie
Groupie

No, the problem has not been resolved. I have asked for assistance on a number of sites and fora, including Boost, Motorola,  Leveno, and Android.  Apparently this is a common problem, and may well be in the Google app, but unless and until Motorola and Google work it out it won't be fixed. 

Agent

Hi, @GKC! Thank you for contacting us. Did you do the Factory Reset?

Enthusiast

According to what I have read on the web,  the -505 error points to duplicate permissions.  So some other app is using the same permissions as phone.  If this is happening on boostmobile phones, it is likely a boost related app.  Perhaps the boost developers can reproduce and debug this issue for us?