LG 3 Stylo - Slow Data Speeds

Highlighted
Accomplice

LG 3 Stylo - Slow Data Speeds

Ok, so I upgraded from a Galaxy J3 Emerge at the same time I changed my plan to Boost's new Unlimited PLUS plan. I purchased my first LG Stylo 3 last Thursday (2/22) and noticed horrible data speeds, averaging less than 1mb/s. I thought that maybe it was just service congestion. Tried again at various times of day in various locations. Sometimes the speeds spike at 10+mb/sec but just for a second or two, then crawl back down to 512kbps or lower speeds. My billing cycle has just started and I know I am not subject to deprioritization. I have manually adjusted my network from LTE to CDMA(eHRPD) and experience similar speeds. Is there any way Boost can do remote diagnostics on my device to tell me why I am all of a sudden getting poor data speeds?

I have various diagnostic apps installed that I can post screenshots of if anyone is experienced with analyzing that data.

I do not want to switch from Boost because I have always been a Boost customer for years, but I am very dependent on reliable data because I use my hotspot as my home internet connection. No simultaneous data/voice is already annoying, but I was willing to sacrifice that feature to stay with Boost because of their (until now) consistent data speeds. I don't need the fastest possible speed, but I do need steady/stable speeds that are capable of VoIP use. 

Thanks for any advice!

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Agent

We truly apologize for this inconvenience, Cyrellia. You can rest assured knowing that we will do everything in our power to resolve this. Slow data can be caused by a network outage, or the device needs to be reprogramed. Let's do some investigating. Please send us a private message.

Highlighted
Accomplice

Ok so I figured out the problem. It appears that it has to do with the "LTE Plus" on LTE Band 41 that, for whatever reason, is not stable. Whenever I reset my data connection or toggle CDMA/LTE my phone connects at LTE at Band 25 first, for about 1 to 2 minutes. During that time, upload and download throughput are excellent. As soon as the phone switches to Band 41, my speeds are 1.16mb/s down and 0.08mb/s up. This is not acceptable.
I need a MSL code to edit band configuration or to disable LTE Plus (Band 41)... But everywhere I read states I have to have the device 12 months in order to request that code.

If Boost can't disable Band 41 on my phone or otherwise fix this issue, I'm out. A better plan and new device shouldn't be a downgrade in service. 😢
Highlighted
Agent

Unfortunately, we're unable to provide you with that information. However, We’re going to pinpoint that address, so the technical team can be aware of your location and determine if there are any outages that hasn't been reported yet.

Highlighted
Accomplice

Could you clarify what you mean by you can't provide that information? Is it that you don't have access to that information or that by this 12 month policy you simply can't provide it?
Highlighted
Agent

We're sorry for the confusion. Yes, it is because of the 12 months policy.

Highlighted
Accomplice

It's sad that Boost Mobile would rather have a customer experience substandard service pursuant to a captive-customer business policy rather than provide a solution, (in this case, disable Band 41 because every other band is WORKING JUST FINE). Looks like I'll have to go. It's unfortunate that I just paid my service for this month too.
Highlighted
Accomplice

The coverage area map claims I am in a 4g lte plus area but that doesnt seem to mean a whole lot...I struggle to get a consistant 4g lte at all and certainly nothing greater than that..Often times it goes to 3g or when lte appears it does not go much faster and often drops completely....
Ive been with Boost for a few years now and had been very happy up until the past 7 months ( give or take a few weeks)..Ive gone thru 4 stylo 3's and 2 stylo 2's ( broken/ stolen/ lost)..
I have to admit I almost moved carriers when I replaced my most recent phone ( last week) purely due to the lack of data speed....
My roommate uses a different carrier and has absolutely no issues with a inferior phone to mine..
I hope you can remedy the poor coverage issues soon because I really do not want to move to another carrier...
Highlighted
Accomplice

The particualr issues I had I realized was a problem with the tower itself. I have since moved to a different area of the city and even though my phone is on Band 41 (LTE Plus) I am now seeing reasonable speeds. My advise is to report the issue in your My Boost app from the area in which you are experiencing problems. My guess is that your speeds may be a cell site issue as well. If Sprint gets enough reports/complaints about the speeds on your particular tower, then it may be addressed.

I don't expect Boost/Sprint to have the fastest speeds, but I do expect some consistency, even if at a slower speed.