How do I clear my internal storage and use sd card storage?

Highlighted

How do I clear my internal storage and use sd card storage?

I have an LG Tribute 5-Boost mobile. Apparently I have little to no "free" space left on device. Unfortunately not even enough to download an app from the play store. So I went an got a 16gb sdcard, put in phone, restarted phone and still it says my internal storage is full but now it also show I've got entire free space on my sd card. How do I fix this? How can I use the sd card for storage instead? I would just like to download important apps needed for phones optimum performance and take pics and video's without worrying about having no storage left....at least for a long while. Please someone help, I have absolutely no idea how to resolve this and afraid to just try and figure it out because in the past when I've done that....I had screwed my device up so bad it was no longer usable. This is a brand new phone (barely a week old) I would certainly like to enjoy my new phone. Help Please.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Promoter

To get you more internal space free we can do this: on your cellphone go to Settings → Memory & Storage → You will se that theres a big bar showing how the space is used, right below that bar it will show you several different bars like "Apps", "Photos", "Music" and "Cache", tap on Cache so you can delete/clear the cache of the device, no worries, this is a safe process, after you do that got to Settings → Apps → Select one of the apps and press "Move to SD Card" so you can also release internal storage, BUT if you remove the SD Card later, once you turn on the device, the applications that now you have on the SD Card will not work now, be aware of that

Highlighted
Accomplice

sometimes you will also have to manually move files from your phones DCIM folder in your internal storage to a new location on your SD card using a file manager

Highlighted
Accomplice

Would this be the same with the ZTE Prestige phone? I can't find any advice posts on that Forum. I am attempting to move each APP,, for example FB App the button never lights up for moving and with Skype the APP says it cannot be moved? How come please?

Also attempted to now move Twitter to the SD Card and the phone says the APP doesn't exist...even though it shows it taking 46.24 MB.... my card has 16G?? What's up guys?

Thanks,

~Ronda

Highlighted

I've seen this happen alot and most times it can be fixed and others it can't depending on what's taking up the most space. But to free up most of your space, your phone has a FILE MANAGER pre-installed on it.

1. 1.You can use this app to move the pics you've taken (located in DCIM) , downloaded, music and videos from the internal storage to the SDcard.
  2. you can go to Settings > General > Apps and disable certain Google apps you don't use (i.e. Play Books, Play Magazine etc...), Uninstall the Boostmobile Bloatware (ie Boost 411, Messaging+, Boost Music etc...) and you can move certain apps you've downloaded to the SDcard
  3. I've also noticed that a lotta ppl txt and txt and txt and end up with conversations with over 5OO messages. text messages take a lotta memory too. If the txt has something important in it ypu can either SCREENSHOT it or LOCK it. if its not that important, you can got to Messages > Settings > General , Check the box that says DELETE OLD MESSAGES and set SMS and MMS to 10 each. This sets your conversation limit to 10. whenever you get a new txt message, it will delete the oldest txt

These are the best ways, I've found, to free up internal storage

Highlighted