Why isn't my phone unlocking?

Highlighted
Not applicable

Why isn't my phone unlocking?

I had my phone for over a year, I unlocked it on 2/5 and it is now 2/8 and my phone is still not unlocked. I have already transferred my phone number and have no way of reaching anyone at Virgin Mobile. 

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Promoter

Sounds like whoever sent you the email mistakenly put in the incorrect unlocking info for your phone.  Feb 2015 is around the time VM started having an unlocking policy.  I'd contact them especially if you've never owned an HTC Desire 816.  This URL describes Sprint's unlocking policy  https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/device/faqs-about-unlocking-your-sprint-device.html Note that in one place it mentions the Feb 2015 date as devices manufactured & at another place as devices lauched.  Your I phone 6s plus satisfies both because it was not launched until Sep 2015.  The SoCs used in the 6 vs 6s plus are different but the microarchitecture for the two are similar which leads me to believe that if you do need the MSL it is because the reused code requiring it because of the microarchitecture similarities.  I'd contact them again asking for clarification.  This is confusing.  Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Accomplice

Why did I just get this email from Sprint? I don't own this phone? I am trying to unlock a iphone 6s plus. It included the correct phone number and name. I'm confused and frustrated now.

Sprint may collect identifying information about you as well as
information about the products or services you have purchased or
considered purchasing so we can better serve our customers.  For more
information, go to 

Dear 
Letting you know your HTC Desire 816 on line my phone number cannot be
unlocked due to programming restrictions associated with devices like
yours that were manufactured before February, 2015. You can try
providing your master subsidy lock (MSL) code "removed" to your new carrier
to find out if it will work on their network. Keep in mind we can't
guarantee your older device will operate correctly on another carrier's
network. Each wireless provider determines whether or not they will
utilize the MSL code to reprogram a device for use on their network.

•  
Highlighted
Agent

Please check your inbox. 

Highlighted
Accomplice

PM sent

Highlighted
Accomplice

How do I send a PM?

Highlighted
Agent

So sorry about the trouble! Can you please send us a private message with the details, so we can work through this? 

Highlighted
Accomplice

Highlighted
Accomplice

I'm in the exact same boat. I requested an unlock and was given the 48-72hr window. Still not unlocked. I tried the tool above and my phone says profile failed. 

I can't call out because i already did the phone transfer.

Please help

Highlighted
Promoter

Oh.  You got an Iphone.  To do it on an Iphone go to Home screen->Phone->dial ##873283#->hit "Call"->hit OK->profile will update (which should unlock it if they filed the request)->hit OK->device may reboot after which it'll be unlocked

https://devicehelp.virginmobileusa.com/scenario/iPhone_X/Virgin_Mobile/en/Update_the_Data_Profile

Do not perform a master/factory/hard (whatever it's called on Iphones) reset or it WILL relock it to Sprint cards.  A soft reset is fine if needed from what I've been told.  I unlocked mine the day after I called & requested it but did not get the text telling me to do it until a couple days later so you should be able to do it now.  Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Is this for iPhone? If so, I can't seem to find "System Updates". 

But thank you! I've received more help from you than anyone else.