Unlocking Our Phones (for International use) and Keeping our Boost Accounts

Highlighted
Accomplice

We have an unusual situation, my wife and I. We're currently in China, where we will stay until the end of July. And this will probably be an annual occurrence for us, moving forward, as my wife will have to make these summer trips for work for the foreseeable future. So, what to do about our phones?

What we're trying to do is keep our Boost phones, but transfer out the SIM cards for Chinese mobile SIMs during out time here. Then, we can swap our Boost SIMs upon our return to the United States. The trouble we encountered, however, is that it seems that our Boost phones are locked. We already checked with the official Boost policy on this: they can provide us the unlock codes. However, the Customer Support email claimed that if they do this, this will result in the automatic termination of our Boost accounts, and the loss of our phone numbers.

This is truly bizarre. There's no mention of this in the official write-up of Boost's unlocking policy. We're paid up on our Boost accounts, and will remain so until our return. The only reason we're wanting to unlock our phones is that Boost does not provide service in China. And heck, that seems counter-productive from Boost's side of things. Why would they do that, if it meant that we could take our phones to an American competitor upon our return to the States?

I've had difficulty reaching any answers on this from Boost support. They have a 12-hour reply policy for email, but our emails have gone unanswered after several days. And we can't call them, because Skype doesn't work with Boost's automated system. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? I've tried looking through the forums here, and haven't found anything quite like our situation.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Accomplice

Will do. I've heard and known people who have done the very thing that my wife and I are attempting to do, so my hope is that this is indeed still possible. FWIW, I believe that one of those people was a Boost sales rep in Florida, where we normally live. He explained he frequently used to make business trips to China, India, and the Middle East, and he was able to just swap SIM cards for these trips.

Highlighted
Agent

Hey there, ObedMarsh! The account would not be cancelled just by unlocking your device; however, Attempting to activate a device with another carrier could render the device incapable of reactivating on our network. We'd like to further assist you with this. Please send a Private Message with the phone numbers and PIN. 

Highlighted
Accomplice

Oh, and in answer to your question: yes, they did offer the unlock code. It's just that they said that if they did that, it would have the effect of ending our account and releasing our phone numbers. Since my wife and I will be having to make this trip annually, we can't very well keep getting new phone numbers every year!

Highlighted
Accomplice

Wow... Well, here's the text they supplied to me.

"

With regards to keeping your account active, unfortunately, the existing
phone number needs to be released before another phone number can be 
activated on the handset. That means, both of your wife's account must 
be canceled. If you still wish to proceed, you may respond with your 
approval and this will serve as a confirmation for the said request to 
be processed.

This was the last email they sent, on 6/26, 1:20pm Eastern. Despite several follow-up emails from me, they have not responded at all since, and because I can't call them, I seem to be stuck. (I did request, repeatedly, an alternative phone number to reach them at, which could by-pass their automated system, even if it wasn't an 800/888 type number. Dead silence.)

Now, I get why there might be trouble, say, if I tried to activate another American phone number on that phone. But I wouldn't think activating a Chinese number would have any effect on that.

Highlighted

oops.

Highlighted

What they told you about terminating your accounts is not true. I have seen them unlock devices in situations just like this.

Even though the link they provide for the CTIA policies is a dead link I thought it interesting to copy and post an interesting part.

"(4) Notice. Carriers that lock devices will clearly notify customers that their devices are eligible for unlocking at the time when their devices are eligible for unlocking or automatically unlock devices remotely when devices are eligible for unlocking, without additional fee."

Did they do this for you?

Here is the link.

https://www.ctia.org/the-wireless-industry/industry-commitments/consumer-code-for-wireless-service

Good Luck.

Highlighted
Accomplice

We have an unusual situation, my wife and I. We're currently in China, where we will stay until the end of July. And this will probably be an annual occurrence for us, moving forward, as my wife will have to make these summer trips for work for the foreseeable future. So, what to do about our phones?

What we're trying to do is keep our Boost phones, but transfer out the SIM cards for Chinese mobile SIMs during out time here. Then, we can swap our Boost SIMs upon our return to the United States. The trouble we encountered, however, is that it seems that our Boost phones are locked. We already checked with the official Boost policy on this: they can provide us the unlock codes. However, the Customer Support email claimed that if they do this, this will result in the automatic termination of our Boost accounts, and the loss of our phone numbers.

This is truly bizarre. There's no mention of this in the official write-up of Boost's unlocking policy. We're paid up on our Boost accounts, and will remain so until our return. The only reason we're wanting to unlock our phones is that Boost does not provide service in China. And heck, that seems counter-productive from Boost's side of things. Why would they do that, if it meant that we could take our phones to an American competitor upon our return to the States?

I've had difficulty reaching any answers on this from Boost support. They have a 12-hour reply policy for email, but our emails have gone unanswered after several days. And we can't call them, because Skype doesn't work with Boost's automated system. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? I've tried looking through the forums here, and haven't found anything quite like our situation.